• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Does Google Give Disability Benefits For Those Of Us With A 1-legged A

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Pete L

Pete L

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:22 AM

In other words, I'd call 180 pages spidered out of a few thousand an F. What puzzles me is this:

The Index page didn't get spidered well due to the form drop-down menu that lists the states. The site map, however, gets spidered but nearly all of the state directories on it were missed. What it seems happened is that Google deep crawled the site and just picked out a few pages here and there to keep in the index. My guess is that being a directory, too many of the pages had the same appearance, even though the directory entries are all different.

Another possible situation I'm wondering about is this:

I use MapQuest links for every name in the directory and I don't use a nofollow tag. Is it possible that Google sees the large number of links to this one site and ignores most of the pages? If so, would a “nofollow” tags do the trick? I can't use a robots text no follow, because the page itself needs to be indexed. The nofollow on the MapQuest, however, would tell Google not to rank the link, only to follow it.

Finally, does it make any difference using relative page links as opposed to absolute links. In other words

<a href="California_Page-1.htm">California Directory</a>

vs.

<a href="http://www.mysite.co...htm">California Directory</a>

I'm just trying to devise some strategy to get the people I have on those un-indexed pages searchable. Hopefully, it won't come down to a complete site makeover and a server change to get a complete re-indexing.

Oh, by the way, no complaints on Google position. The two keywords I wanted most indexed are #1 and #16 on Google and #1 and # 10 on Bing... That's right, I said it, BING! (I guess all the really good 4-letter word .com names were already taken, oh well.)

Anyway, any discussion on this dilemma would be appreciated. The site by the way has had this problem for more than a couple of years, so; it is not a matter of being patient to get it crawled.

Thanks,

Pete

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,928 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

None of the things you're wondering about are the problem, other than only linking to your directory pages (as far as Google is concerned) via a sitemap. That one link on one page doesn't give your important pages much internal link juice to work with, so Google is assuming they're not very important.

Couple that with the fact that they're not very unique as you mentioned, and there's no reason for Google to bother with them.

#3 Pete L

Pete L

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 14 2009, 09:53 AM) View Post
None of the things you're wondering about are the problem, other than only linking to your directory pages (as far as Google is concerned) via a sitemap. That one link on one page doesn't give your important pages much internal link juice to work with, so Google is assuming they're not very important.

Couple that with the fact that they're not very unique as you mentioned, and there's no reason for Google to bother with them.

Hi Jill,

A worried person with reason is just annoyed. A worried person without reason is just paranoid.

- Pete L. Copyright 2009 All rights reserved. (See our terms and conditioner page for more lustrous hair.)

I did try to manually submit the 50 state pages but so far, all Google did was take out 14 of my pages from the Index. I think I got bit by the Scroogle bot on that one. Actually, what the crawler did was get rid of 14 pages that were just pages with icon samples for advertisers. I really don't care if they are indexed or not. The good news is it added four more cities, which I care a great deal about. Over-all though, I want to see the number of indexed pages climb, not fall.

I redid a site map a couple of months ago and put links to all states on it but that didn't get them indexed. I know Google crawled it, because the states I added show up when I query Google doing "site:mysite.com/site-map.htm California" See Jill, I'm not as stupid as you said. (Jill actually never said that... I know she just reads my posts and thinks that :) Hey, do any of the rest of you think Jill reminds you of Patricia Richardson in her role as Jill Taylor on the TV show, Home Improvement? Well, maybe it's just me, but then I digress...

Anyway, my choices are:

1) Be even more patient than I have already been.
2) Submit more pages I really want indexed now, manually.
3) Link from other sites to the pages I want indexed now (That is really hard to do.)
4) Redo my site map to include 3000+ links to all the directory pages I have in my site. (Have fun loading that page!)

or...

5) Make a Google XML site map and submit it directly to Google at their site map submission address.

I don't mind the amount of work... or to use a phrase I'm sure Microsoft will steal from this post...

"I just want to get the most 'Bing' for my buck."

- Pete L. Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.

The only other thing I might consider to get the states all indexed is to start to add some of the states to the main index page with a, "More..." link so visitors who want to use those links can go to the site-map to find the rest of them. I state just a few so I can see if it works. I don’t like to make a lot of changes all at once. (Other than that, I use a drop-down 'option' form menu; so it does without saying that can't be indexed. I would use CSS but the 'overflow' syntax is not recognized by FireFox. Without the use of 'overflow' you don't get a scroll bar and you just cannot get all the states, not to mention a menu of all the cities on each state page, into one drop-down menu without a scroll bar. It also takes JavaScript to make such a drop-down menu. If I ever find something that works in all browsers and can still work if JavaScript is turned off, I'd use it but for now, the html menu works best for visitors.

Any comments as to the best course to take will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!