• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Providing My Expertise To Others

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smallweddings

smallweddings

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

Question for the experts.

Background:

We are slowly building our brand name out there and having the don't-be-evil team move us up the rankings an plop our
out in left field keyword phrases right at the top. Whoopee!!!

We're even managing to creep up the ladder with some more prominent keywords.

So here's the issue.

We signed up as an expert on a high ranking site. We agreed to let them have a bunch of content, ie duplicate some of our blog posts.
Now they rank above us for some of the keyword phrases we targetted. Duh. Their link to us is only for keyword phrase "our site" which is
at "oursite.com" , and it's not even on the post pages. It is only on the sidebar of the blog on the about me section. (I know that doesnt mean
anything...I know...but its psychological right?) They leave in the links I send offsite and strip out any links I do internally.

On first glance this seems like a bad thing. But we're not sure. Will the association with this site help us with SEO in any way?
Does google root around enough on their site to make the association with us?

Or should we say, nuff's enough, our content is strictly ours, thanks for the memories, see-ya-bye.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks

Darin & Christina

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:57 AM

If you want to rank for the content, but they do instead, then of course it doesn't make sense to allow it on their site.

If, however, you're gaining traffic and exposure by being on their site, then that might be more important than the rankings.

The stuff about Google possibly associating your site with theirs is irrelevant. This is a business decision, not an SEO one, other than whether you don't want them to rank for your articles.

#3 smallweddings

smallweddings

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

Thanks Jill.

You've confirmed what I was thinking.

Now we have a decision to make.

Darin

0 user(s) are reading this topic