• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Similar Keyword Different Pages

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:24 AM

Hi All,

I am targeting similar keyword phareses in different pages. Say "personalised birthday gifts" in one page, "personalised birthday presents" in another page. Page Content is different but product names that appear in the pages are same.

What would be the advantages and disadvantages?

many thanks

#2 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:00 AM

providing you add a descriptive paragraph or two containing some decent copy for each page and with differing metas, you should target each phrase quite nicely, despite product links being the same.
However, the issue here is useability for your visitors. They'll think the two different categories contain two different products.

Theres numerous ways to solve this issue correctly, which one you choose depends on your menu and product structure, so cant really give an answer without seeing the site. What package are you using?

Edited by adibranch, 13 June 2009 - 05:07 AM.

#3 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

A I am using magento cart and navigation will be for keywords personalised birthday gifts, personalised wedding gifts etc. and within the page content I will link to other pages that targeting keywords personalised birthday presents, personalised wedding gifts etc.. There won't be any links at the navigation bar to the pages that targeting keywords containing presents. Say I may give a link from the product page saying see our other products as well.

As you sad pages will have completely different metas and content.

Thanks

#4 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

so you sell gifts, and all categories are 'xxxx gifts', your site is about gifts and you're trying to target 'xxxx presents' as a secondary term.

Numerous ways to do this, experimentation needed though. I defintely wouldnt advise having two seperate menu items for each term, and just copying the products, as this is a sure fire way to annoy your visitors.
If this was me, i'd be testing 'personalised wedding gifts | personalised wedding presents' or 'personalised wedding gifts and presents' as the page (meta) title, with a liberal sprinking of both in the copy. Leave all dynamic links as using the main category name, and vary your manual text links using both terms where possible.
You can also try creating some landing (article) pages specifically dedidated to the presents terms with some nicely presented, targeted and interesting copy (preferably with dynamic links to your products so the link url's are kept up to date) . Link to each of these landing pages from a 'news' or articles box on every page.
Most of this is standard inbuilt stuff (ie using infoboxes) on most ecommerce packages, but just how flexible magneto is i'm not sure. When it comes to SEO and ecommerce, to make it work effectively you need to be able to have a certain amount of customisation when it comes to the scripts, as they're not brilliant out of the box. If you're knowledgeable to make your own scripts (or adapt the inbuilt ones) then its even better.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:59 AM

It sounds to me like you're attempting to make pages for search engines and not people, which is why you're having trouble figuring out how to do it.

Why would you have multiple pages with the same products that target different keywords? Just have one page, but target multiple keywords, instead.

It's always best to have one URL for any one page of content. You say the content will be different, but what you're talking about isn't content, it's just keywords for search engines. Your products, are your content.

#6 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:02 AM

You are right jill. I decided not to do anyway. It will look stupid and not a good idea.

#7 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:04 AM

<title>Personalised Birthday Presents - Personalised Birthday Gifts</title>

Any thoughts on how you would get the key phrases "personalised birthday gifts" and "personalised birthday presents" onto the same page without it looking clutzy?

My thought would be to use each phrase *sparingly*, say personalised birthday gifts once at the bottom of the page and personalised birthday presents at the top. Then I would scatter birthday, presents and gifts seperately throughout the page, again perhaps only once each.

What about the title? You might just go with:
  • Personalised Birthday Presents - Personalised Birthday Gifts
Or, maybe better, more newspaper headline:
  • Personalised birthday presents, personal gifts for loved ones on their special day
Try experimenting with different titles, you could learn a lot.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,880 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

Any thoughts on how you would get the key phrases "personalised birthday gifts" and "personalised birthday presents" onto the same page without it looking clutzy?

I don't even understand the question. Why would it ever sound clutzy to use both those on the page in a natural manner if you were talking about the fact that you offer personalized gifts? I'm no copywriter (and this should probably go in that section), but it seems to me it would be harder NOT to use both phrases than to use them.

#9 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:59 PM

Something I don't understand is I had a look at couple of competitors and they optimised their pages for wedding gifts. When I do a search for wedding presents keyword they come up no 1 and no 2. What is the trick here? They only use wedding presents in their url and their description tag, But not in their content or title tag.

Am I missing something here?

I have another question. I asked someone to write me a content around 400 words. He used about 6 times "personalised wedding gifts" phrase. With the heading 1 and heading 2 there are 8 of them. Is this normal? It reads well and flows well.

With this optimisation the page should do good for "personalised wedding gifts" and "wedding gifts" keywords. Is that right?

Edited by Jill, 16 June 2009 - 08:32 AM.

#10 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,581 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE(ali0303 @ Jun 15 2009, 04:59 PM) View Post
Something I don't understand is I had a look at couple of competitors and they optimised their pages for wedding gifts. When I do a search for wedding presents keyword they come up no 1 and no 2. What is the trick here? They only use wedding presents in their url and their description tag, But not in their content or title tag.

Not necessarily a "trick." The phrase might appear in the anchor text of links pointing to the page (in the site's internal navigation and/or from external links).

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#11 eteare

eteare

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:57 PM

Another aspect to this question. I work for a site that has multiple types of content for the same topics, like Learning Disabilities Q&A, Learning Disabilities Community, Learning Disabilities Articles. Most of the time I can get editors to make the anchor text match the section we are sending people Another aspect to this question. I work for a site that has multiple types of content for the same topics, like Learning Disabilities Q&A, Learning Disabilities Community, Learning Disabilities Articles. Most of the time I can get editors to make the anchor text match the section we are sending people to. But, in a long list of linked topics, it looks crazy to have:

Q&A Topics

Learning Disabilities Q&A
ADHD Q&A
Dyslexia Q&A
Hearing Problems Q&A

Instead we often have:

Q&A Topics

Learning Disabilities
ADHD
Dyslexia
Hearing Problems

But then I worry that we are diluting our keywords, cannibalizing our keywords. Any thoughts on good ways to deal with this issue? Or do you think I should just relax because the latter example is best for users?

Edited by eteare, 05 October 2009 - 04:06 PM.

#12 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:04 AM

yes the latter example is much better for visitors, and it won't make a huge difference to your receiving pages providing those pages have decent onsite, but i can see what you're saying and its a common dilemma. What i normally do is try it without the 'Q&A' for a good while, and then add it as a last resort if i need an extra push.

Logically, if you're using an unordered list for the menu, you'd think the search engines would carry the top level text down to the next. However, search engines are pretty thick, and who knows if they do this, but i highly doubt it.

A good alternative is to have a secondary menu (perhaps in the footer) with the Q&A text added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!