• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Placing A Value On Custom Writing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

I have to write an SEO instruction document that will be translated into 5 languages and distributed to 4000 business owners who have signed up for an industry-specific web template program.

The document will guide the business owners through the process of optimizing their websites by means of simple instructions and screenshots. (Many of them are not computer or web savvy so it will be an exact step-by-step process)

In the end, the document may be just a dozen pages, and it may take around three days to produce (approx) - but my gut feel is that the value of the document goes beyond just man hours. I feel that I should be charging for my expertise as well as the value of the document to these 4000 businesses.

Anyone have any feedback or past experience here? I'm having difficulty putting a price on this job.

Thanks,
Caro

#2 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

To me, the value of any document I write includes my expertise. That's part of why the client hired me. That's one reason I don't charge by the hour. The client really doesn't care if it takes me 1 hour or 15 to complete a given project. They care about the end result.

So, to answer your question, yes, charge for the value of the document, not for how long it takes you to create it.

#3 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

QUOTE(copywriter @ Jun 12 2009, 05:22 PM) View Post
So, to answer your question, yes, charge for the value of the document, not for how long it takes you to create it.

Thanks for your feedback. Now for the hard part of course...aside from guessing, is there some kind of process, or at least a starting point for estimating that kind of value?

The 4000 business owners will receive the program for free as part of their subscription, so it's not like I could say "This is worth $500 each to 4000 people".

It will be used by many, but still paid for by one client. Thinking out loud...I guess I have to think about what it's worth to my client to offer this resource to his subscribers.

#4 copywriter

copywriter

HR 7

• 1,856 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

I guess I have to think about what it's worth to my client to offer this resource to his subscribers.

You're on the right track. I have no idea how you've structured your rates so I can't even begin to answer that question. No, you can't charge for the 4,000 people who will use it unless you have an agreement to receive a % or some cut based on downloads or usage. (Which does happen all the time.)

If your client is just hiring you to create 1 document, then that's all he's willing to pay for. What he does with the document would be irrelevant. It's like writing a book or an ebook for a client. You have no idea how many copies will be sold. All the client is paying for is the writing of the book.

I'd be careful about getting into "for use" agreements with clients however. Especially if you don't have a good idea of how they plan to market the material, what his refund policy is, customer service practice, etc. If it's some newbie client that's doing this on the side, you could end up making nothing smile.gif

Pricing is rarely a cut and dried issue.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

I'd probably want to charge around $3k. (Just off the top of my head.)

#6 Say Yebo

Say Yebo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 13 2009, 09:53 AM) View Post
I'd probably want to charge around $3k. (Just off the top of my head.)

Thanks Jill, that's handy to know. My top-of-my-head thought was very similar so I think I'm on the right track now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!