• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Moving Toward Page 1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Diogenes

Diogenes

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:57 AM

I couldn't find a natural thread for this question, so I figured Indexing Questions was the best I could figure out.

A test page for my new website was by found by Google Monday. It was placed on page 15 (Argh). I clicked on it several times and then went back to it yesterday. I'm not complaining, but I couldn't find it on page 15. I found it on page 6. Is this some kind of natural organic change that takes place over time???? Or did my visits to my own site make a difference?

If it was not some kind of natural process - here is what I am thinking. There are a lot of placements ahead of me, many of them forum pages that probably haven't had a visitor in 5 years. Could it be that even a few current clicks on my site has given me greater 'traffic relevancy' and I've moved ahead. If this is true, is it reasonable to get some other computers to click on my site to keep boosting my SERP position?

In a related question, I find myself on page 6. My friend across town finds my site listed on page 12. Why so?

Jim

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,036 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 11:16 AM

Rankings go up and rankings go down all the time, especially with new sites.

It's doubtful that your clicking on your link caused anything.

You'll want to read Why Rankings Are a Poor Measure of Success as well as our Tips for Newbies articles.

#3 Diogenes

Diogenes

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

Jill, Thank you for your reply. I know enough that some of the ranking issues you've identified are not pertinent (#2, 4 & 5). But I'll definitely be following the placements change issue and experimenting with the personalizing feature.

The placement issue from the tiny microcosms that I have followed is both true and not true. At my previous ecommerce business, the sites in the first 5 positions on the first page had been in that group for over a year that I know of, and the site in position #1 had been there for maybe 6-10 years. The prior site I worked on was somewhat similar until I did some significant changes in SEO with some of the products in the company. Some changed a little, and one became one of our top sellers after a much less impressive history for the preceding 3 years.

I've got a little more to check out in this regard. Thanks

Jim

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,036 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

Yes, it's true that with older sites they can tend to stick in the same positions for years. But it's different for new sites. It's completely normal to see major fluctuations and/or be totally missing for the first year of a site's life, if not longer.

And the more competitive the keywords, the more movement you'll see.

#5 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

quite often you'll see a change, sometimes of a large number of positions (positive or negative) and then next week or month it'll reverse by exactly the same amount, plopping back into its original position. Odd.

#6 Diogenes

Diogenes

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 11 2009, 03:00 PM) View Post
Yes, it's true that with older sites they can tend to stick in the same positions for years. But it's different for new sites. It's completely normal to see major fluctuations and/or be totally missing for the first year of a site's life, if not longer.

And the more competitive the keywords, the more movement you'll see.

Well, naive novice that i am, I am going to step in and see whether I can have an effect on this. Wish me well. It'll take me a couple of weeks to see whether what I have in mind will work

Jim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!