• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

- - - - -

Google Shake Up

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kynduvme

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 09:54 AM

I have noticed in recent days a major shake up in back links counted and search results. Looks like Google is getting better at filtering the garbage out, good for me my sites rose up quite a bit. THe crummy spammers that have been ahead of me (with hundreds of those irrelevant blog poster links) were dropped finally after months of dominating.

#2 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

They recently rebuilt their index and I suspect they are testing out some new filters. Hopefully they'll start getting rid of a lot of the spam but they do now seem to give preference to large content sites that have been engineered for advertising -- stuff that has accrued some "brand" recognition through the years but which is not necessarily the best content to show to users is now dominating a lot of search results.

So while I've got some happy clients where their own queries are improving, there are still plenty of other queries where people are complaining about Google's results.

You could read that as, "My site doesn't rank so Google sucks" I suppose, but when you see the same database-driven, ad-splattered sites ranking in hundreds of queries, it does get a bit old. That goes well beyond "My site doesn't rank so Google sucks".

Anyway, congrats on any improvements in Google rankings and referral traffic.

And for anyone who is still struggling, keep building out your content and make it as interesting as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.
No new posts or registrations allowed.