• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Right Website, Wrong Keywords

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 draft34

draft34

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:21 PM

Hi. Although I made sure I had keywords included in my website, I was unaware I should have researched them beforehand. Now Im kinda stuck. I did some keyword research much later and discovered I need to change them. My website has 10 pages. I based the domain name, titles, descriptions, etc.. on keywords I felt were accurate to the overall theme of my website. Its become obvious the keywords I used werent what people were searching for. I found other keywords and phrases to use that would work well and I want to use them on my website. My website is indexed by google, yahoo and some other search engines and I am getting "some" traffic. Im worried if I change keywords and phrases that I'll lose what little traffic I have and have to wait months before I show up on higher serp's pages. Is there a way to include the new keywords without starting over? Can I make a new domain name or add an additional domain name to my existing website? Thanks.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:30 PM

You're definitely not stuck. It's fine and simple enough to change your keywords now to what they should be. Nothing to worry about.

#3 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,622 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

And since the domain name matters little to not-at-all for rankings, you can implement the changes on the things that really matter (title tag, on-page text. link anchor text, etc.) on your existing domain without having to migrate to a new one. Easy-peasy! thumbup1.gif

Unless you really, really, really despise the domain name you have and think you will keel over from sheer hatred if you have to look at it in your URLs for even one more day...

And if you do find it necessary to migrate to a new domain name:
  1. Make sure you 301 redirect your old pages to the new.
  2. And this time, register a non-keyworded, brandable domain. (Maybe your business name? Maybe some made-up word you can brand however you like, like Exxon or Accenture or Google?) That way, should you discover even better keywords in the future, you won't face this dilemma again.

Yet another reason why so-called "keyword rich" domains probably aren't such a good idea. smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#4 draft34

draft34

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thanks for such great information. Im new to seo. I checked out some of the other seo forums available online. I picked High Rankings because it shows up on the #2 spot for seo forums search on google, and the other forums all had a handful of holier than thou seo wizards who get upset if someone new asks them questions that were beneath them and not worth their royal time to answer.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:36 PM

Our royal time isn't worth all that much wink1.gif

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

Or in some cases we only work a couple of royal time units per day and the other 22 are normal time and suitable to be wasted. jester.gif

Seriously though, I hear ya draft. Some places really aren't too friendly. Which is really odd considering most of those haven't yet even made the effort to put together something like the HRF [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php/topic/833-tips-for-new-seos/]Tips for Newbies[/url] to point new folks to cover the fundamentals.

#7 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 03:08 AM

QUOTE(torka @ Jun 10 2009, 02:42 PM) View Post
And since the domain name matters little to not-at-all for rankings...

You sound a bit overly certain of that Torka.

There's only average agreement on this between the 37 experts on the SEOmoz ranking factors page.

I take "average agreement" to mean "don't make a big painful change." So I wouldn't change the domain name. Unless i could get an exact match on a big keyword:

Aaron Wall: "If the domain name is an exact match I believe it is strongly weighted because it might be a sign of a navigational query. Plus having an exact match domain means they were either early to their topic (and thus perhaps a topical leader), or they may have paid a domainer nosebleed prices for the domain."

You *can* get an exact match in your url, e.g. for red widgets you could have redwidgets.html or red-widgets.html or red_widgets.html \widgets\red.html or ... you get the idea. It does not matter at all which of these you have.

So I would create new pages with the keywords in your url. Keep the old ones and link to the new ones from them, then the new pages will get added link juice.

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:36 AM

What those sort of things always seem to forget to take into account is the potential of links and the anchor text these links use. It's a completely natural phenomenon, and easily explains how sometimes having a keyword in your domain can actually help rankings, even if the keyword isn't parsed out of the url string by the search engines.

What do I mean by all of the above babbling? Let's take the example of this site, highrankings.com. I and I am sure many others have linked to this site by using something like
CODE
A good place for lots of free SEO information is Jill Whalen's <a href="http://www.highrankings.com">High Rankings</a> site.  She has a forum filled with all sorts of good information, and in addition writes a newsletter and publishes many, many articles on various SEO subjects.  All of which have been archived for many years.

People looking from the outside in, without taking these sort of links/anchor text examples would immediately think the domain name is the key. When in fact it's probably all of those links with natural language anchor text using her brand having an impact.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!