• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Cannotical Linking- Tracking Website Better With Google Analytics

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

i had time to think this over.

I am trying to track urls differently using analytics. I want to see if users convert better or worse if they click on link A (in the nav bar) or link B (in the sidebar). They both go to the same page. If i mark the links with www.e.com/link#A and www.e.com/link#B, I have heard this won't hurt my SEO efforts at all (google will treat both links as if they were pointing to www.e.com/link). Has anyone had experience doing this - will it work and be ok for our SEO strategy?. If i use cannotical tag that matt cutts talked about to get rid of the parameters will that also work and have no effect on my seo because my rankign has greatly improved lately. Thank you all for your help i am averaging great money a day with a lot of your tips.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:42 AM

If i use cannotical tag that matt cutts talked about to get rid of the parameters will that also work

It won't matter.

The stuff that comes after the hash is not a parameter, so will be completely ignored. Thus there should be no need to use the canonical tag.

#3 goldjake

goldjake

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ Jun 10 2009, 12:42 PM) View Post
It won't matter.

The stuff that comes after the hash is not a parameter, so will be completely ignored. Thus there should be no need to use the canonical tag.

thank you- so if i tag some of my links like this

<a href="www.mysite.com/car.aspx#bar"> HELP </a>

it will be treated like it went to www.mysite.com/car.aspx ? Will it have any effect on SEO at all? We are trying to help our analytics program a little bit and by tagging the links it should help us follow if the click came from the top or the bottom of the page even if it came from the same location. Sounds weird but it;s how we structured our site navigation

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

Right. Everything from the hash on is simply dropped. It would be just as if you linked to the page without the hash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.