• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Old Parked Domain Redirected To Current Domain

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy8

dannyboy8

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:38 AM

Hello

We have a website which i shall call www.mysite.com. We have had difficulty ranking in Google.co.uk. Recently we have noticed that there is a parked domain exactly like our own with a .co.uk extension i.e www.mysite.co.uk.

I believe a few years ago this used to be part of our network but was left expire (not intentionally). It is now for sale. The idea is that if we 301 redirect this domain to our main site (.com version) we will increase rankings on Google.co.uk. Personally i feel that we wont given the .co.uk domain has never had decent inbound links and was a copy of the current main domain. Also if a domain expires, does it lose its ageing value? The new registrant registered it in 2005.

Another question, how do we know that this domain hasn't used bad seo techniques since 2005? If it is seen negatively by Google could we not do damage to our main site after the redirect?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

Recently we have noticed that there is a parked domain exactly like our own with a .co.uk extension i.e www.mysite.co.uk.

It's parked still? If so, is it parked on top of your site? Is it showing your exactly same content? If so, you may want to implement some .htaccess to keep that from happening. I can cause your domain to struggle ranking.

Also if a domain expires, does it lose its ageing value?

Worse than that. As a general rule an expired domain that ends up with someone else gets totally reset, so it loses any link value it had as well.

how do we know that this domain hasn't used bad seo techniques since 2005?

You don't know and can't know with true certainty.

However if it's really parked on top of your domain (hey, it happens! Sometimes it's even unintended!) and neither your site nor it rank well, I wouldn't 301 redirect. Instead I would break the parking situation. eg, if you're on a *nix server you could do something like:

CODE
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?othersite\.co\.uk [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*) - [G,L]

The above will cause the other site to stop showing your content. Effectively breaking the connection.

#3 dannyboy8

dannyboy8

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:53 AM

Thanks for the reply

No there is no content, just a page with "this domain may be for sale". Also a list of sponsored links underneath. Basically it is a parked domain but i know that about 7 years ago it was used by our company with similar content to the main .com domain. Now it doesnt show any content of ours. The general idea was we would buy back the domain and redirect it to the main .com

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:59 AM

That domain then is going to have nothing whatsoever to do with your current ranking problems. Buying it back isn't going to fix the ranking problems either.

The only way I would consider buying it back and forwarding it to your real site is if it has some strong branding meaning to your company. Which I assume it probably doesn't since it was let go years ago, unless something has changed significantly between then and now.

#5 dannyboy8

dannyboy8

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:33 PM

Thanks Randy

We know it has nothing to do with our current ranking problems. I suppose the question is will buying this domain (because it has a .co.uk extension) and redirecting it to the .com domain, increase our rankings on .co.uk for the main site. I think it should be bought back for branding purposes. But a domain name alone even though it is a TLD, should not by its own merit influence the ranking on .co.uk for the main domain when redirected. I think if it has built up popularity over years, has decent content and many inbound links before being redirected, then yes it should work. What do you reckon?

#6 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:46 PM

If your .com is hosted outside of the UK then having a .co.uk domain can indeed help with those UK only rankings. There's a long pinned thread up in the International section that speaks more to the subject.

That said, I don't think it would do you any good to buy the co.uk and simply redirect it to the .com. You would have to go the other way around. Buy a co.uk and point your .com to it if you wanted to get the full benefit.

Of course none of this means it needs to be the old co.uk domain from before. Or that you need a co.uk at all if you host your .com on a UK based server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!