• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

What Is The Point Of Using Crawl-delay In Robots.txt

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

I have a new client and there robots.txt file is full of things to disallow such as INSTALL.txt, node/add, user/password/, etc. Most of which I doubt they really need. They also have a crawl delay of 10. What is the benefit for purpose of this. Their original tech person is gone and they aren't sure why its there.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:45 AM

According to Wikipedia, the crawl delay directive is:

...set to the number of seconds to wait between successive requests to the same server.

For very large sites that might get a lot of bandwidth eaten up, it might make sense to have that within the robots.txt file.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:45 PM

Crawl delay is mainly to be used if your server cannot handle the load when it gets visited by multiple spiders from the same search engine.

For example, when Googlebot spiders your site and does a deep spider they may have several spiders hitting several pages in a relatively short duration. If this spidering causes the server to slow to a crawl you'd definitely want to either fix the root cause of the problem or institute a crawl delay.

As Jill mentioned from the wiki article crawl delay can also be utilized for cases where the spiders are eating up too much bandwidth. Though frankly in that case I'd encourage you to upgrade your hosting package if things are that close. Real users are going to use up far more bandwidth and server load than the spiders. So if the spiders extra bit of usage is causing problems you're always better off to fix the root cause. Rather than limiting the spiders ability to crawl your site properly.

#4 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:08 AM

Can there be too much in a robots.txt file. In addition to crawl delay, this one site has nearly 40 entries. To me that seems too much and probably most of the exclusions serve no purpose. Granted my site isn't an e commerce site or requires a data base, but it only has two lines.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:00 AM

Can there be too much in a robots.txt file. In addition to crawl delay, this one site has nearly 40 entries.

No.

You might be surprised at the purpose the entries serve. There's no sense in allowing the robots to crawl areas that really shouldn't be indexed as you want them to focus on the areas of importance.

It sounds like they're using their robots.txt file exactly as they should.

#6 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:19 PM

Thanks Jill. Robots.txt file is something I need to address more. My knowledge is pretty basic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!