• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Wordpress Tags

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 07:56 PM

How much importance, if any, do you give to using tags for SEO on a Wordpress site?

As seems to be the trend whilst learning more about SEO, I've found conflicting views about their use. I'm minded to believe that they aren't really part of the SEO process, given that they're open to abuse and that I already use meta keywords, so I shouldn't really bother with them.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:13 PM

By tags are you referring to meta tags?

If so, the only ones the search engines even pay attention to are meta description and robots. Meta robots you don't need to bother with if you want the engines to spider everything, which is their default. Meta description is not going to have a huge ranking effect, however used properly you can get the engines to pick it up in their SERP snippet and sometimes produce a better pitch with a call to action.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:03 AM

If you're talking about tags in a blog, they're completely different than Meta tags. Tags are a way of categorizing you content and are very helpful to people and search engines.

But with WordPress you have to be careful with tags so that you don't get the same post showing up under multiple URLs depending on the tag one uses to get there.

#4 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:31 AM

Sorry, I should have clarified - I meant Wordpress tags, rather than meta tags (which I already use).

I appreciate their use in terms of taxonomy and, on occasion, user design, but I'm trying to understand what use they might have in terms of SEO? I'd have thought they would be subject to the same manipulation as meta keywords, so perhaps wouldn't be regarded all that much by search engines?

My site doesn't use a tag cloud (I don't believe that it would serve much purpose and could possibly detract from the visual elements that I want visitors to focus on), nor does it have a link to tag categories or displays tags in posts, so I'm just wondering how my site might be improved if I decided to implement them?

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,983 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

They provide an anchor text link to a category page full of posts that are related to that category.

They can't be compared to meta tags as they're not anything like them. They're not subject to abuse because why would people want to miscategorize their posts?

#6 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 8 2009, 04:54 PM) View Post
They provide an anchor text link to a category page full of posts that are related to that category.

They can't be compared to meta tags as they're not anything like them. They're not subject to abuse because why would people want to miscategorize their posts?

I know they're not the same as meta tags, but just like people could stuff keyword tags, so I thought there was the possibility to 'stuff' WP tags - e.g., using a boat load of them to have anchor text pointed to a page - whether they are relevant or not.

Never mind. Just a noob's hypothesis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!