• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Burning Wordpress Structure Questions.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seodesire

seodesire

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

I limit my posts on every other page, obvioulsy except my post pages.

I only allow the category to be indexed, tags, archives, search etc are noindex.

I think this is good strucutre? If not I'd like some advice for this.

Asides from that this is my biggest issue with my blog.

I climbed 200 positions for my main keywords.

That's fine but I think I know why I did so quickly.

Basicaly none of my posts were gaining any PR so i thought there was something I needed to do with my internal structure.

I added a related posts plugin based on category. it puts around 7 links after each post to posts within the same category.

It does this with a nofollow attribute. Because of this attribute I guess thats why I climed 200 places for my homepage ever since applying it, as it's seen most important.

I also guess that the nofollow is good because it takes away from the fact that each post within a specific category has a high chance of recripocal linking to each other.

Although I think the downside is that it's making my post pages look unimportant.

I do want to rank for my main keywords quite obviosly but in the process I don't want to ruin all of my other handy works' ability to rank. Whatever I've done it's working for my main keywords, but maybe against all my other keywords.

What's the advice out there for me on this. I'm scared I could ruin everything if I get this wrong.

Thanks for such a great forum too.

#2 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,587 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 12:22 PM

Fortunately, nothing is permanent in SEO (not even 301 redirects, really). If something isn't working, you just change it. So no worries about "ruining everything," OK? smile.gif

Not sure why you'd want to nofollow your own internal links (whether through a related posts plugin or whatever). dntknw.gif

I mean, basically with a nofollow you're saying you don't want to vouch for your own pages. Might want to take a look at this thread that discusses recent apparent changes in how Google views/treats nofollow before you keep going with this tactic. book.gif

In a nutshell, according to what Matt Cutts is saying now, nofollowing those links isn't going to send any "extra" PR to your home page any more. It will still get the same share it would have gotten if the links were followed. The PR that would have gone to those links simply "evaporates." magic.gif

So whatever caused your home page to go up by 200 places in the ranking, if it was in Google, it wasn't the nofollow on those links.

IMO, in the long run you're hurting yourself by limiting the ability of those post pages the ability to rank for search queries on their own by denying them their full share of internally-transferred PR. pr.gif

If it were my site, I'd either find a new related posts plugin that doesn't add a nofollow, or modify the existing one remove that.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!