• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

I Just Sent Out A Press Release For The Wrong Domain!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JeremyH

JeremyH

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

I did the absolutely worst thing today.

Iíve been getting my press release ready for the last couple of weeks, double checking, triple checking, everything.

Yesterday I started sending it out, but I got an email back from someone I sent it to letting me know one of the URLs at the bottom didnít work. Turned out I transposed two letters in the domain name through a recent revision. (Everything else was fine).

The damage was done, and I couldnít take back the press release. I corrected it for those I could, but once I sent it out on the wires I couldnít change it after the fact.

I immediately bought the typo domain, and have every sub domain and page file combination redirect to itís equivalent on the proper domain using 301 redirects. (The same thing I do for all my domain name variants).

Iím wondering how this will affect the search engines' perception of me. Theyíll see all these links to this page on this site that has never been indexed which immediately redirect to my real site using a 301 redirect.

Is this it, problem solved? Is there some kind of dampening affect to this, and I just shot myself in the foot? Anything else I can do?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 03:10 AM

Well, I'm not sure how the search engines will view it exactly, given the details.

But considering what's happened I think you've done absolutely the best you can to make the situation right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.