• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Text Under Search Results

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 scamsel

scamsel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:54 AM

hi, hope this is not too stupid of a question (i'm a noob).

sometimes the text that appears under a search result in google is text that i cannot find anywhere on the actual page when i click on the result. can anyone explain to me how that text appears in the search result then? is it some kind of meta tag info?

and how would you be able to control what appears under your pages search result? is it typically the first header on your webpage or what?

appreciate any help!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:38 AM

It's likely your DMOZ description.

You'll want to turn it off via the  noodp attribute[/hr]

#3 scamsel

scamsel

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 3 2009, 12:38 PM) View Post
It's likely your DMOZ description.

You'll want to turn it off via the  noodp attribute[/hr]

ty for response! i don't know what dmoz is but i googled it and i think i understand now. so i guess my follow up question would be then once you turn off this attribute, how can you determine what text gets displayed with your website's result?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

how can you determine what text gets displayed with your website's result?

The search engines decide. And it's dependent upon what keyword phrase is used when someone searches.

The Title should normally be whatever is in the <title> tag of the returned page.

The snippet below that can come from a number of places, including what's in the <meta description> tag on the page and the text copy in the page itself. The engines will try to match the snippet with the search phrase used by the searcher.

So if the phrase being searched upon appears in the text of your <meta description> tag the engines will usually pull the snippet from at least part of that. If not, or if there's not enough text that's relevant to the search phrase in the meta description, they'll then attempt to pull sentences from the copy of the page.

While you cannot expressly control the snippet, you do have some control by how you use your keyword phrases in both the meta description and copy of the page.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:48 PM

Start with my meta description article.

#6 Andy_Seo

Andy_Seo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

As Jill/Randy say concentrate on creating a useful and insightful snippet as this will be returned, providing the keyword is included within the tag. You can also add:

CODE
<meta name="robots" content="noodp"/>

To the <head> element, which will stop Google using your, most probably outdated, DMOZ entry.

BTW - Does anyone have a preference on closing the META tag? I always see examples that don't use the trailing slash - which I know can have an impact on the Google snippet.

Edited by Andy_Seo, 03 June 2009 - 05:46 PM.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:44 PM

I always see examples that don't use the trailing slash - which I know can have an impact on the Google snippet.

The correct way is to close it, but it shouldn't make a difference.

Are you sure that it was the lack of it that had an impact on the snippet? I'd be really surprised to see that and would love to see any examples you might have!

#8 Andy_Seo

Andy_Seo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 3 2009, 11:44 PM) View Post
The correct way is to close it, but it shouldn't make a difference.

Are you sure that it was the lack of it that had an impact on the snippet? I'd be really surprised to see that and would love to see any examples you might have!

Yes will try and post some example but the snippet was awful (taking out text from a piece of code on the page) - even though the keyword term was included within the text. As you say - I would always recommend closing the tag.

#9 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

self closing the tag depends on the doctype... ie XHTML has a self closer, normal HTML4.0 etc doesnt. Dont self close if you're using an HTML doctype, only an XHTML one.

with XHTML most tags are self closing />, including the meta description. So, if you're using XHTML, you have to self close. I dont think it makes any difference to mr G though if the tags and doctype dont match, as it overlooks discrepencies like that normally.
You'll fail validation though if its the wrong one obviously.

Does anyone know if validation is taken into account in any way with serps positions? i've often wondered...

Edited by adibranch, 04 June 2009 - 06:29 AM.

#10 Andy_Seo

Andy_Seo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:28 AM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Jun 4 2009, 12:21 PM) View Post
self closing the tag depends on the doctype... ie XHTML has a self closer, normal HTML4.0 etc doesnt.

XHTML most tags are self closing />, including the meta description. So, if you're using XHTML, you have to self close. I dont thin it makes any difference to mr G though as it overlooks discrepencies like that normally.
You'll fail validation though if its the wrong one obviously.

Does anyone know if validation is taken into account in any way with serps positions? i've often wondered...

Yes good point - I should have mentioned the doctype - I've had trouble modifying the tag because of this.

#11 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 06:35 AM

the simple rule is if you're using XHTML, self close the description (and everything else).. if you're not, dont. Either way, it shouldnt make the slightest bit of difference in google, its just good code.

#12 Andy_Seo

Andy_Seo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE(adibranch @ Jun 4 2009, 12:35 PM) View Post
the simple rule is if you're using XHTML, self close the description (and everything else).. if you're not, dont. Either way, it shouldnt make the slightest bit of difference in google, its just good code.

Sure, as I mentioned before though - I have noticed some funky snippets being returned for websites that do not close the tag.

#13 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 07:09 AM

if it was grabbing code elements, it would just have been incorrectly formatted code, probably missed some closes completely. The type of closing tag on the description is simply good (or bad) formatting, and wont make any difference to the snippet.

#14 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,987 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:13 AM

There is a group of validation evangelists who believe it is taken into account, but my strong opinion on it is that it's not. It simply doesn't make sense for it to be.

#15 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 08:33 AM

i must admit i've gone to the trouble of validating several, and not really seen any differences that i know of. I still believe its still good practice though... and it makes sense that some really bad code could halt spiders, if it cant follow the flow properly. In my humble opinion of course wink1.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!