• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

PageRank Evaporation When PR Sculpting

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 9

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

PageRank Sculptors got caught with their testing invalidated and their conclusions shown to be wrong. Today the SEO blogosphere is fighting back with yet more nonsense theories and rationalizations about "how to make it really work".

What has always worked is creating content that other people recognize and value AND building a strong site architecture that ENCOURAGES people and crawlers to move through the links.

Googlers have been advising people to NOT try to sculpt PageRank since 2007 (almost since the whole idea started to take off). The SEO community in general has not listened to the warnings and subtle hints.

So now Matt has done the SEO community a favor and offered some very blatant, clear language: don't try to sculpt PageRank, definitely don't try to do it with "rel='nofollow'", and just focus on building good content that is organized through solid site architecture that encourages people and search engines to follow the links.

Which part of that message is so hard to accept?

#32 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:43 AM

Which shows what a non-effect it had to begin with, and also how poorly the people who tried PR sculpting actually measured their success with it. (Or if that's even possible.)

Well it's a hard one to quantifiy, but as you know I moved host from UK -> USA, I lost all rankings for UK ONLY and my global ranks in all SE's bombed.

After the move , I added a little PR sculpting, and now my rankings have not just come back but are higher than they ever were, especially for the pages I wanted to boost PR to.

Infact as my screen shot from Bing clearly shows that, not only is my no.1 ranking back, which I used to enjoy in MSN , but the page I PR boosted makes me no.8 as well.

Now I'm the worst person to try and evaluate 'cause vs effect', but hey it certainly can't have done me any harm, that's a gimme!

I can't say for sure if it is that one thing which has improved things, maybe an algo update has made a difference, or the hosting move 'settling' down.

But what i can tell you is as I don't partake in off page SEO such as link building, link posting or any of the other 'must do' off page activities, it's got to pretty hard to ignore the possibility that my 'Tesco' logic has made a difference ...... 'Every little helps!'

One thing is for sure, if it aint broke!, so I'm gonna leave my rel=nofollow just the way it is, because I certainly like my current results wink1.gif

#33 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 03:48 AM

umm.... MSN never supported PR Sculpting, mainly because they don't even have PR. lol.gif

So yeah, there's definitely a cause and effect disconnect. The new, better results on Bing are very, very, very likely to be from other things you'd done.

#34 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:00 AM

The new, better results on Bing are very, very, very likely to be from other things you'd done.
What like errmm 'Nothing'?

But my G! rankings have improved also, maybe i'm getting organic IBL's ,that was the ultimate plan smile.gif

and Randy, what sort of time do you call this, go to bed you maniac!

Edit -> just checked Yahoo and it seems i'm now no.5 kicking.gif

I never ranked in the top 100 on Y! prior to the move and PR sculpt.

Well what ever it is, I aint complaining that's for sure thumbup1.gif

Edited by 1dmf, 17 June 2009 - 05:12 AM.

#35 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 9

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,916 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Jun 17 2009, 01:43 AM) View Post
Well it's a hard one to quantifiy, but as you know I moved host from UK -> USA, I lost all rankings for UK ONLY and my global ranks in all SE's bombed.

After the move , I added a little PR sculpting, and now my rankings have not just come back but are higher than they ever were, especially for the pages I wanted to boost PR to.

Which, as Randy pointed out, accomplishes nothing toward establishing cause and effect. There are many reasons for why a Web site gains and loses rankings. Moving a site from one region to another and changing domain names (even if only just top-level domain names) are both well-documented causes for the effect you describe.

To make a case for successful PageRank sculpting you have to show nothing else influenced the changes in search results.

In fact, one of the major fallacies of the PR sculpting myth is that adding more PageRank to any given page will help its search results rankings. There are very, very few queries that are decided on the basis of PageRank and it's highly doubtful you're working with a site that has gained that much PageRank. You can easily manipulate uncompetitive queries with PageRank but in competitive queries it's the on-page copy/emphasis and the anchor text that have the most significant direct impact on results.

PageRank sculpting has always been and probably always will be nonsense because you cannot track and measure the flow of PageRank through your site.

What's most troubling, however, is that you've just been told (by Google) that your attempts at PageRank sculpting over the past year had no effect and yet you're still arguing that they did.

That just doesn't work on so many levels I can't understand why anyone would continue arguing at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!