• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Same Owner Different Details - Sandboxed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

My client has asked me to help move his domain from his old registrar (who was charging 60 per year per renewal!) to a new one recommended by me (who will charge much less)

Since my client bought the domain, his business structure has changed and I'm a little concerned about the sandbox.

Originally he was "[client Name] services LTD" trading from Unit X on industrial estate X, and that's currently how it's still registered. Now he's "[client name]" running a mobile service based from his home in a nearby town, and these are the details the new registrar has.

It's still the same owner and essentially the same business, but I don't think he can legally transfer the domain and keep it registered to the LTD company, so will he get sandboxed? is there anything that can/should be done to avoid this? I don't know if it's taken into account but the nameservers and website are staying the same.

He doesn't rely heavily on search traffic, but it does bring in some trade and enquiries, so he would rather avoid these issues if possible.

Thanks

#2 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 04:23 AM

rolf

I am not sure I understand fully the question, however there seems to be some change of opinion on the sandbox theory of late and having launched a couple of sites lately I have had no problems that I can see.

Also I don't understand why you client can't legally have the domain name transfered?

#3 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:00 AM

launched a couple of sites lately I have had no problems that I can see

That would be good, crossfingers.gif

Also I don't understand why you client can't legally have the domain name transfered?

The legal problem is that he's no longer trading as a LTD company. While the old setup remains unchanged then it's a legacy issue and just a detail that is yet to be updated, however any new arrangements that are made cannot be made using the defunct company as that would be fraud.

#4 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE(rolf @ Jun 3 2009, 06:00 AM) View Post
That would be good, crossfingers.gif
The legal problem is that he's no longer trading as a LTD company. While the old setup remains unchanged then it's a legacy issue and just a detail that is yet to be updated, however any new arrangements that are made cannot be made using the defunct company as that would be fraud.

What if someone bought the domain on his behalf wink.gif say his seo guy for a nominal 50.00 paid to the adminstration people.

#5 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:37 AM

If I were to buy the domain then I would have to change all the details - I'm not sure I understand the point you're making.

Probably me just being a bit slow (wouldn't be the first time), or my original post is not very clear (also wouldn't be the first time) but could you explain a little more?

#6 MaKa

MaKa

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:59 AM

Unfortunately, I don't know whether there is an issue with "services LTD" disappearing from the registered name will tricker Google's "domain sold" filter/warning or whatever you want to call it.

When is his renewal due? If it's not for a while could you change the name with the old register and then move it (and the address) before it's about to expire. Hypothetically this may give you enough time - although if Google is watching it it could also be an addition attention flag... Maybe someone more knowledgeable can help you out.

#7 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 04:29 AM

QUOTE(rolf @ Jun 3 2009, 10:37 AM) View Post
If I were to buy the domain then I would have to change all the details - I'm not sure I understand the point you're making.

I may of misunderstood - I thought that you meant that the company owns the website and perhaps gone into liquidation and the website might constitute an asset of the company and that's why it could not be transferred.

I am no expert but the change in domain name ownership should not directly effect the rankings greatly - should it?

#8 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:32 AM

I thought that you meant that the company owns the website and perhaps gone into liquidation

Ahh, I see. No, it's just that the owner has changed his company structure from LTD to sole trader. Nothing funny going on, just a change of setup.

Thanks for the advice everyone, as there is no firm consensus we've decided to simply proceed and see what happens. I'll post the results here when I can say anything conclusive.

#9 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:07 AM

Man, I must be slow lately. Or just extremely busy with my little projects. lol.gif

Rolf, there shouldn't be a ranking problem with the registration change. Just the same you'll want to make it as clear as possible to the engines that the same person owns and runs things as before.

It sounds like at least two things are changing. The Registrar (basically a non-issue in and of itself) and the Registrant's name. If that's all, you should be pretty safe from my experience. I don't think there's much chance those two things alone is going to add up to cause a reset. The idea being to keep as much the same, or to change data over a longer period of time, as possible. So if the physical address in the WhoIs can stay the same, it'll help. If the Nameserver info can stay the same, it'll help. If the sites themselves can remain relatively the same for a period of time, it'll help. Etc, etc.

A couple of years ago I did a little cleanup work on my own domains. We're talking roughly 80 domains that needed to be fixed as it were. The fix being that I didn't have a company mention in many of the WhoIs records because I'd been lazy about updating the default info that got stuck in there by my Registrar of choice. Some of them also had my old home address for several years ago in the WhoIs instead of my PO box.

So some of the 80 domains simply got stuck under the corporate structure, with the company name being added to the WhoIs record. My registrar has a spot for my name in there too, so that was still there. But legally now they're owned by the company, with me as the contact person. Others got that change plus got the mailing address updated. All of them got all of the changes applied to the Registrant/Admin, Billing and Technical fields. Everything else, including the sites themselves, remained exactly as they were for at least a couple of months.

I saw no detrimental effects of these mass changes at all.

So I guess the moral is to change what must be changed, but keep as much the same as before as possible. Or if you have to change a whole lot try to do it over a longer period of time if possible. If there's no option other than to make wholesale changes all at once I'd probably even put something in the About Us page or something to explain why the changes were made, referencing some of the old info as well as the new.

#10 chrishirst

chrishirst

A not so moderate moderator.

• 7,103 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:44 AM

You can be pretty sure that absolutely nothing at all will happen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!