• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Bing Hits The Road Running!

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:04 AM

MS has finally launched their new SE called Bing. I'm very impressed! One thing that stands out is the ranking algo seems to be very close to G's for the few kwd searches I performed. After performing a query, place your cursor to the right of the SERPs and it pops up an AJAX window with a lot more info on each search. I especially like that.

I'll keep testing it to see how close to G it is. I think MS has a winner with Bing.

Edited by BBCoach, 01 June 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:18 AM

Seriously? I'm seeing same results as their old "Live" which basically suck. I don't even know where they're finding the weird old pages they're pulling up for some queries.

I'll have to do some additional searches, but the few I've done so far...blech. Am anything but impressed.

#3 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 12:08 PM

I'm seeing same results as their old "Live" which basically suck. I don't even know where they're finding the weird old pages they're pulling up for some queries.
Yep me too. As I've dug deeper into my kwd analysis I've noticed old pages that haven't existed in four years. I still like some of their features.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,877 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:06 PM

I can't get past the icky results so I haven't actually looked at the features yet. They don't do much good without the most relevant results.

The balloons on the home page are pretty though smile.gif

#5 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:12 PM

Yah I don't see anything earth-shattering. Apparently a lot of the Powerset features aren't rolled out yet. Which only hurts them.

#6 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

The balloons on the home page are pretty though
Mouse around the balloons and I reckon you'd call them "easter-eggs" pop up with more info about the photo. Unexpected and different.

#7 alfredjsmith

alfredjsmith

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

I've tried it very quicly - I'm not sure they've got a 'google killer' on their hands.
Doesn't appear to do anything fantastic at all.
They're going to have to do some serious work if they want to stop me heading straight to the big G

#8 madams

madams

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:08 PM

Give it a chance, ,maybe its cr*p but I bet a lot of you said that Google was not so good at the start!

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,028 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:31 PM

I just analyzed over 100 queries for some clients and the results are pretty good in my opinion. A few glances at personal queries also show me I'm much happier with BING's results than with Google's.

Of course, there are some queries where I'm happier with Google than with BING.

Overall, they seem to be about comparable, with maybe a slight edge for BING (but that could just be because I'm looking at the search results with fewer expectations than usual).

#10 Since 1996

Since 1996

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Jun 1 2009, 12:18 PM) View Post
Seriously? I'm seeing same results as their old "Live" which basically suck.

QUOTE(BBCoach @ Jun 1 2009, 01:08 PM) View Post
Yep me too. As I've dug deeper into my kwd analysis I've noticed old pages that haven't existed in four years. I still like some of their features.

Same here. I noticed some pages on my sites are from a couple years or more ago which aren't even there any more. Looks like they have a lot of out of date data. Old data new 'look'. Gee, am I ever impressed...

#11 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 11:02 AM

well it's the first time i've ever seen it, it seems to default there instead of MSN when i type a URL wrong in my address bar....and I love it!

1st ever search using it and i'm No.1 & No.8 lol.gif

After moving host I lost ALL my MSN/Live rankings, and now they're back woohoo.

#12 El Jaybee

El Jaybee

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 06:29 AM

I rather liked it. (Better than this forum form when I clicked 'close fast reply' when I meant to post it!!!

Anyway, my very long post is now briefer. Down to the nitty gritty. I think we need people like Jill to understand (ask?) what is it that is making bing give such different results from Google, so that we can optimize for a/ our audience, b/ Google and c/ bing.

Many of my own website have appeared much further up the results than they do in Google. One of my clients' sites that is usually on page one in Google isn't in the top ten in bing. If there are real differences in how improve position in each we will (maybe, one day) really need to consider bing as well as G.

#13 dowhatnow

dowhatnow

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:48 AM

Does anyone know how the little pop up boxes on the side of the listing is populated?

#14 maleman

maleman

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 08:12 PM

My traffic from MSN has gone straight up in the past couple weeks. Bing is cool! banana.gif banana.gif banana.gif

#15 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:21 AM

Does anyone know how the little pop up boxes on the side of the listing is populated?

I'm not sure what you're looking for in an answer, but for the few of my sites I've checked in Bing the popup was simply some text snippets from the page, along with something similar to Google's SiteLinks down towards the bottom of the popup. I didn't personally see much rhyme or reason in the text selected. Though I didn't really look at it very closely either. I do have it on my radar screen dig into when I can find some time since one of my sites I checked had a lot of text snippets in the popups, others had a few sentences extracted and one, oddly enough, had zero text from the page content, but did have the links at the bottom still.

That's the one that made me want to look into it more closely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!