• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Not Indexing Previously Indexed Pages

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 brianwolfe86

brianwolfe86

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hi,

I am having a major issue getting my site crawled by Google. I have read through all their guidelines for optimizing my site and can't see anything that I have not done thus far.

I will first give a bit of background on this issue...I have constructed [removed] from the ground up as a database-driven e-commerce site based on ASP.NET.

Midway through the development process my boss told me to submit the site to Google and other major search engines so we would be ahead of the game when we went live. In the course of a few weeks, we had over 2000 unique pages listed.

We went live about a month ago and currently have approximately 670 pages listed. I've used the program GSiteCrawler to try and figure out where Google might be tripping up and have not found any errors out of the 8000+ pages that were successfully crawled by the program.

I've also submitted the sitemap generated by GSiteCrawler to Google Webmaster, but have not seen any improvement in my page listings in the two months since submitting it initially.

In summation, here is a brief bulleted list of what's happened:

* Submitted site approximately 4 months ago
* Had over 2000 pages initially crawled
* Completed development process
* Crawled the site using GSiteCrawler and generated/submitted Google sitemap
* Resolved any server-based errors
* Currently have less than 700 of the 8000+ pages listed in our sitemap that show up when Googling our site

Please help, if you have any suggestions after looking at the site shout them out. We are currently dead in the water and need some exposure if we are to avoid going under.

Thanks,

Brian

[Site url removed per [url=http://www.highrankings.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules]Forum Rules[/url]. Feel free to create a signature and link to it there if you would like.]

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

Welcome Brian !

I rather doubt you've done anything wrong that's keeping Google from indexing the site's pages. I gave it a quick once over and nothing jumped out at me. It looked to have clean links, a maximum of 3 variables per url, etc. So I don't think it's that at all.

What you're more likely running into is the fact that the site is new. Or more specifically that the site is new so has very few links pointing to it from other sites.

Those links are what get the search engines attention and spur them to index more and more pages. They basically equate more links to more interest from the real people who placed those links to your site. When I checked your domain in Yahoo's SiteExplorer thingee it shows only 9 incoming links total, with those coming from just 6 other places. You'll need considerably more than this if you want to spark enough interest in the search engines to get them to index thousands of pages.

That the engines had initially indexed so many pages pretty much tells you there's nothing actively keeping them from indexing those pages. If there was a technical problem they'd have never indexed the pages in the first place.

Now you just need to give them a reason to do that every time they crawl. Which means it's time to start building links.

offtopic.gif
On a completely different subject, you may want to check your site in a Safari based browser. In both my Google Chrome (which uses Safari's WebKit) and in Safari for 'doze your left hand nav is being slid in under the pics and other stuff in the main content section. Maybe not a huge, huge deal since Safari browsers aren't used by a vast majority of surfers, but lots of Mac users do. And it's usually something fairly easy to fix once you sort out what's pushing it over for that one type of browser. It's gotta be something in the CSS. Probably something tiny.

The site looked fine in both my IE7 (32 and 64 bit) and in my Firefox.

#3 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:10 PM

Randy, you've got multiple threads here at HighRankings reporting similar issues. There are similar discussions like this on other forums, too.

The symptoms (based on what I am seeing for my own and client sites) are similar to massive delistings Google has performed in the past when recrawling the Web/rebuilding its index.

They announced such a recrawl during their Searchology 2009 event (May 12). It's impossible to predict how long these processes last but I have noticed a significant increase in Webmaster complaints over the past week.

Although some of the people complaining about lost listings may have tripped some filter or something, I think it more likely they simply lack sufficient internal PageRank to ensure that their pages stay completely in Google's index. I am confident that, on my sites, the pages which seem to have vanished are the less important pages.

I doubt Toolbar PageRank will provide any guidance to people about why their pages may have dropped out of the index, especially as there now appears to be a new PageRank update in process -- unless that means Google has almost finished whatever it was doing and is now about to restore everything, but we can only wait and see.

Based on what I've seen from Google representatives and what I am seeing in the search results, everything looks normal for this kind of recrawl/rebuilding process.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:26 PM

But, MM, the original post said this was a new site. Not a site that has been around and then lost indexing/rankings.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,325 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:06 PM

Slow crawl/indexing of new sites appears to be part of the pattern, Jill. I've been having to work extra hard to get new sites indexed in the timeframes I'm accustomed to and I'm seeing reports at more than a half dozen SEO forums. New sites, old sites -- everyone seems to have a similar issue. Google is crawling but not indexing.

I don't think it's a lot of unrelated little issues, but that's just my opinion. I'm trying to share some insight based on a trend that has been unfolding for several weeks.

#6 brianwolfe86

brianwolfe86

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'll continue working on good backlinks...I'm just glad to know its not a technical issue preventing Google from indexing all my pages searchme.gif

Randy, thanks for the heads up...I've been told that by other people as well and haven't been able to locate the CSS that's causing the consternation girl_cray2.gif

On another note, my manager has told me that multiple sites she has used for SEO analysis on our site have said we have ~60 "broken" links within our site according to their crawlers (which are allegedly how Google and other crawlers see the site).

However, when I actually go to these links, they are perfectly navigateable and produced no Internal Server errors in my IIS logs.

Thoughts?

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

On another note, my manager has told me that multiple sites she has used for SEO analysis on our site have said we have ~60 "broken" links within our site according to their crawlers (which are allegedly how Google and other crawlers see the site).

You might want to grab yourself a copy of the free Xenu Link Sleuth software and run that against the site. It's usually pretty reliable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.