• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Wordpress Categories: To Index/follow Or To Noindex/follow?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Connie

Connie

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Personally I don't want categories indexd, nor do I want the archive indexed. I want the SE to index the actual page.

To me that is more user friendly. I hate clicking on a SE result that takes me to a category page, and the article is no longer on the category page.

#17 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE(seocms @ Feb 12 2010, 03:09 PM) View Post
Hi Jill,

I want to index my categories in my wordpress site. I usually have one article assigned to 2 to 3 categories. Would this be okay to do have the categories index or just have one category index of all the 3 and do a noindex/dofollow for the the other categories. What do you think about this Jill.

It's ok to have the category pages indexed, but there's no sense in it unless you can add categorical information to the top of the page.

To me, category pages are the key to SEO, but the way wordpress defaults them, isn't what you want typically.

But there are ways to use Wordpress where you can create your own category pages and add information to them. If I remember correctly, you do them as pages, not posts (or something, I may be thinking of something else).

#18 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:11 PM

I prefer to have category pages indexed. They make better sitelinks than individual posts. While I agree with Jill's criticism of how Wordpress categories are all-but-useless, I would rather the search engines show the categories as sitelinks.

Also, people can really screw up their sites with SEO plug-ins that nofollow and/or noindex their tag and category pages. I've reviewed way too many blogs that couldn't get indexed because they were blocking crawlers almost every step of the way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!