• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Www Vs Non-www

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mauro21pl

mauro21pl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 02:07 PM

Hi to all
Ok so ... that is my situation. I have a web site that is online for a while. You could access to it via www.domain_name.com or domain_name.com (but only non-www are indexed). So I would like to redirect all pages to www version. I know I can do that via .htaccess but first things first.
And the questions come here:

1. Google indexed my web pages, but only non-www versions. How come? Why Google didn't pick www version?

2. When I ridirect using .htaccess is that going to solve the problem?

3. I saw some sites that their pages are indexed as www and non-www versions? How come? Why my website is only indexed as non-www?

4. When I design my internal site linking should I use links with http adress or as I always do (because didn't pay attention to it) using local site structure.

http adress of index.html

or

<a href="index.html">Home</a>

5. I have curently indexed 122 pages as non-www version, and 0 www-verion web pages. I setup .htacces and it redirects correctly. What other procedures should I do to get rid off non-www indexed pages and have www-version indexed. Is this seems correct way of doing things? Or should I rather leave non-www pages index and just redirect usres. What is the best option to do.

Appreciate the answers

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

Just a note first that you don't have to redirect to the www version, unless you have other non-seo reasons for doing so. It doesn't much matter which is indexed. Just that it's either one or the other. Since they already have the non-www version indexed I'd leave it that way personally, unless it needs to be changed for some non-seo reason like that you have an e-commerce site with an SSL checkout routine and your SSL certificate is as the www version of your domain's address. Then you definitely want to force at least the purchase routing to the www address so that people don't get certificate errors.

On to the questions!

1. They got the non-www version because they found a link or links somewhere pointing to that version. Even if they found links also pointing at the www version, if they already knew about the non-www version and especially if it had a bit more link pop going for it in their eyes (possibly even though your own internal nav because all of those pages had been previously indexed) they'd likely leave it that way. Basically, it sounds like the engines have already decided that the non-www version is the one they should be showing folks.

2. Well, it will eventually. Because you're constructively telling them you want the other version indexed. This is of course assuming your redirects are delivering a proper 301 Moved Permanently status code. Again, it's not strictly necessary though. I'd have probably gone the other way and disabled the www address since they already had the other one fully indexed. In truth, since your site only showed the www address there was probably nothing to fix.

3. The engines are still confused about those sites. Those are the ones that could really be helped by some 301 redirects to handle the www/non-www situation.

4. You can use either relative (eg /somepage.html) or absolute (eg www.domain.com/somepage.html) with your internal links. Both are 100% valid. The only difference being that the relative links are normalized to use the domain info currently in the browser, so if one was at a page as domain.com/anotherpage.html and clicked on the link they would go to domain.com/somepage.html and not www.domain.com/somepage.com. There are of course other ways to force this all down one path.

5. You need do nothing else if your redirect is set up properly. You may want to double check using WebBug or any of the free header checkers out there on the web to make sure those non-www attempts are actually producing a 301 redirect code. It has to be a 301, not a 200 ok, not a 301 Moved Temporarily and not anything else. A 301.

#3 mauro21pl

mauro21pl

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:50 AM

thanks for great answers. That really cleares out a lot

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

2. When I ridirect using .htaccess is that going to solve the problem?

You don't actually have a problem.

Why do you care if you're indexed under the non-www and not the www? It's true, you don't want both, but sounds like you've only got one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.