• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Is Long Tail Really Long Tail

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hi,

I was wondering if some long tail KWD's by nature are really main KWD's

And also if it is influenced by the education level of your surfer and your target audience.

Don't get me wrong , I don't mean to call anyone stupid by that comment.

But people use SE's in different ways depending on their computer literacy and undertstanding of words and how computers work.

As people's experience and exsposure to technology evolves, does also the way in in which they use a search engine, thus by nature instead of trying to be generic and enter single or double words as a search term, we become more defined in our overall search and use more detailed and precice search terms, hence moving away from the concept of keywords to keyphrases! and in some way seing keyphrases as main keywords, which used to be old school longtails!

So does sometimes concentratring on the longtails draw more visitors, nowadays, than you would actually think?

Does an SE evolve, the searcher, both, or is it all relative?

#2 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 08:19 PM

I think it's an evolutionary process.

The only analogy I can think of at the moment is the 'sales funnel' concept, or perhaps the educational aspect of the consultative sales process.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:04 AM

If any individual keyword phrase drives a lot of traffic, it's not long-tail by long-tail's very nature.

Long tail doesn't mean many words in the phrase, it means keyword phrases that don't bring a lot of traffic in their own right, but in aggregate (all the various ones you get traffic for) they add up to a lot.

#4 harpsound

harpsound

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

In part an answer.

Users of G used to scan the whole page maybe go to page 2.
Now they hardly go past line 3.

The inference being that G is not the problem but rather it is the user where the keyphrase could be improved.
Searchers now use the concept of long tail where they understand the right phrase gives the right result no matter how obscure.
The expect G to deliver the exact tail niche/answer if they have the right phrase.

#5 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:22 AM

Long tail doesn't mean many words in the phrase, it means keyword phrases that don't bring a lot of traffic in their own right, but in aggregate (all the various ones you get traffic for) they add up to a lot.
Thanks Jill, That's party what was on my mind.

Because people anjd the SE's have evoloved since the internet and 'search', more people use multiple words, my intial thought of what 'long tail' keyphrases were.

But you're saying a single word can be a long tail depending on quantity of searches, not the number of words in the search.

Searchers now use the concept of long tail where they understand the right phrase gives the right result no matter how obscure.
Again another analogu which made me thig about longtail, as people tend to search more directly, and use multiple words a lot more that they used to.

You see this phenomenon when you look at the KWD's in your GOAN, sometimes you do wonder A ) how they found your site with the specific search and B ) what on earth did they type that phrase for?

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 08:52 AM

But you're saying a single word can be a long tail depending on quantity of searches, not the number of words in the search.

Yes. At least as far as my understanding of what the phrase "long tail" actually means. And it's used for much more than just keyword phrases, it is a phrase that is also used outside of SEO. (Aka Chris Anderson's book about the Long Tail isn't about SEO).

#7 1dmf

1dmf

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:41 AM

it is a phrase that is also used outside of SEO.
what, like my cat.gif has a long tail?

#8 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

QUOTE(1dmf @ Jun 1 2009, 10:41 AM) View Post
what, like my cat.gif has a long tail?

As in Amazon.com - half their sales are from books that aren't bestsellers or in book charts (or something like that). It's the broad selection of low-volume goods that most people buy.

I tried to think of another analogy to do with Coca-Cola and all the different variants of Coca-Cola, but it didn't quite work out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!