• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Description And Title Tag Are Different From Website

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MarianneC

MarianneC

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

OK - so this is probably a stupid question. I've always worked with my title tags, meta description, and copy to get what I want to show up in a search engine. I'm looking at a site right now that has a lovely title and description on Google, Yahoo, and MSN.

However, neither the title or description are anywhere to be found on the webpage itself. Are they serving something different just to search engines?

Thanks!

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

However, neither the title or description are anywhere to be found on the webpage itself. Are they serving something different just to search engines?

Not necessarily. For fairly uncompetitive phrases, or for pages that have a very high link popularity or PageRank component, just having keywords in the Title alone can cause it to rank.

#3 MarianneC

MarianneC

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 29 2009, 01:20 PM) View Post
Not necessarily. For fairly uncompetitive phrases, or for pages that have a very high link popularity or PageRank component, just having keywords in the Title alone can cause it to rank.

The keywords in the title tag on the webpage are not the same as what is showing up as the title on any of the search engines. The two sentence description in the search engines is also not anywhere in the web page code or copy that is being served to users. That is the part that is confusing me.

#4 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

Maybe they updated the page. What's in the cache?

#5 qwerty

qwerty

HR 10

• 8,695 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:35 PM

Check to see if the site is listed on the Yahoo directory or the Open Directory (dmoz.org). It's not uncommon for search engines to use that information for a page's title and snippet on a search.

By the way, if that happens to one of your sites and you want the search engines to use the title and description you put on the page instead of the information coming from a directory, you can add the following meta tag to the head of the document:

<meta name="robots" content="noodp, noydir" />

#6 MarianneC

MarianneC

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

QUOTE(mal4mac @ May 29 2009, 02:32 PM) View Post
Maybe they updated the page. What's in the cache?

The cached page matches what I see.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

I'd almost be willing to bet there are dual <title> tags or something funky like that going on. Seen it happen before. Seen the old DMOZ thing happen before too. I'd guess those before I guessed cloaking since the chances are more likely.

Feel free to PM over the details if you want another pair of eyes to take a look.

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 02:18 PM

Yep, my guess would be the dmoz thing.

#9 MarianneC

MarianneC

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip