• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Phrases

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:35 AM

Hi There,

I am targetting a keyword "personalised birthday gifts". By targetting this phrase am I also targeting birthday gifts as well as personalised birthday gifts.

many thanks.

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

Yes.

#3 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

Hi Jill,

I have read some of your topics regarding how many keywords phrases we should target on the homepage. you recommend 3-5. My question is:

Does this apply to inner pages as well?

Does this apply to a new site as well?

Thanks

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

Yes. And Yes.

As long as you have 3-5 keyword phrases that are closely enough related to read well in the copy of course. Sometimes when you get down to those very, very targeted pages you won't have that many that easily work together in the copy.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

Does this apply to inner pages as well?

Like most things that I talk about, there are no hard and fast rules. Every site is different and every page is different.

Often, inner product pages would probably only focus on one or two keyword phrases.

But it's all dependent upon your keyword research and the overall universe of keywords having to do with your products or services.

#6 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:32 PM

In that case I would assume personalised birthday gifts and birthday gifts makes two keyword phrases...

Another question is:

I have a page starting

headin 1 : Personalised Birthday Gifts
heading 2: Stunning Personalised Birthday Gifts with a difference...
First Paragraph :We have great selection of Birthday Gifts for him, her, mums, dads, children, babies and more. Our online shop is growing all the time as we seek new gift ideas to add to our collection.

is this considered keyword spamming?

Many thanks

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 12:35 PM

In that case I would assume personalised birthday gifts and birthday gifts makes two keyword phrases...

Correct.

Does it sound right to you as a normal reader of the site? If so, then of course it's not spamming.

#8 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE(ali0303 @ May 29 2009, 01:32 PM) View Post
I have a page starting

headin 1 : Personalised Birthday Gifts
heading 2: Stunning Personalised Birthday Gifts with a difference...
First Paragraph :We have great selection of Birthday Gifts for him, her, mums, dads, children, babies and more. Our online shop is growing all the time as we seek new gift ideas to add to our collection.

Many thanks

Not it's using keywords badly. I would have:

"We have great selection of personalised birthday gifts for him, her, mums, dads, children, babies and more. Our online shop is growing all the time as we seek new personalised birthday gift ideas to add to our collection."

[OK that's a bit clunky -- but you get the idea...]

If you're shooting for keywords then use them!

Sorry if I sound angry, I just found a page where I made exactly this mistake. So I'm angry with myself, not you whitehat.gif

#9 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

QUOTE(mal4mac @ May 29 2009, 07:38 PM) View Post
Not it's using keywords badly. I would have:

"We have great selection of personalised birthday gifts for him, her, mums, dads, children, babies and more. Our online shop is growing all the time as we seek new personalised birthday gift ideas to add to our collection."

[OK that's a bit clunky -- but you get the idea...]

If you're shooting for keywords then use them!

Sorry if I sound angry, I just found a page where I made exactly this mistake. So I'm angry with myself, not you whitehat.gif

Hi Mal4mac,

Could you elaborate, I don't get what you mean by clunky and also you used personalised birthday gift doesn't that increase my targeted keyword as I'm targetting only personalised birthday gifts and birthday gifts. I'm trying to stay away from too many keywords to start with and will increase as time goes on. What do you think?

#10 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:48 AM

I also capitlise the first letter of each keyword when it occurs in a paragragh. I have no idea if this makes any difference, but logic suggests it enforces the term from the rest of the copy, without using something like bolding or italic (which are also good in moderation)

#11 alohame

alohame

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:11 AM

Now I am targetting personalised birthday gifts for an inner page. I understand there will be 3 keyword phrases out of personalised birthday gifts. 1 Personalised Birthday Gifts, 2. Personalised Birthday, 3. Birthday Gifts.

It has been suggested that I use 1 or 2 keywords for inner page but my phrase has got 3 keywords, does this mean that there are too many keywords for an inner page. How will this affect my ranking, will it dilute.

I'd be grateful if someone could get back to me on this as it's giving me a real headache!!

Thanks in advance.

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:11 AM

I also capitlise the first letter of each keyword when it occurs in a paragragh. I have no idea if this makes any difference, but logic suggests it enforces the term from the rest of the copy, without using something like bolding or italic (which are also good in moderation)

adibranch you're just getting silly now.

Unless you have tested a theory like this one please do not continue passing them out like magic candy. If you want to take yourself down a questionable path that's fine. Just don't suggest others follow along because you think it may make sense or may help.

FTR, your theory about capitalizing the keywords in your copy gaining something is just flat out wrong. And that's why you need to actually test this stuff rather than just believe it might be true.

#13 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:15 AM

You're stressing out about this How Many Keywords Per Page question far too much ali0303.

Include as many keyword phrases as possible and not a bit more. Or to put it another way, right for human visitors, while keeping in the back of your mind that the search engines are also going to see those pages.

At the end of the day all of your pages are going to be optimized to at least some degree for a lot more keyword phrases that you have in your list, because technically speaking any word or phrase in your copy is a potential keyword.

#14 adibranch

adibranch

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 08:31 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ May 30 2009, 08:11 AM) View Post
adibranch you're just getting silly now.

Unless you have tested a theory like this one please do not continue passing them out like magic candy. If you want to take yourself down a questionable path that's fine. Just don't suggest others follow along because you think it may make sense or may help.

FTR, your theory about capitalizing the keywords in your copy gaining something is just flat out wrong. And that's why you need to actually test this stuff rather than just believe it might be true.

i wasnt suggesting anything.. hence the phrase i have no idea if it makes a difference. Yet, can you say for 100% absolute positive certainty that it doesnt take capitalised words into effect? no.. neither can i. Its an emphasis on the word and occurs in natural text ... and as such it may carry, it may not. Logic says it will.Capitalised words occur naturally in properly formatted paragraphs, particularly where they refer to a product or type of service. Thus, to seek these out in copy may be an indication of what that page is naturally about, having emphasis placed on those terms without the author doing it intentially to mislead or sway SE.

In general, I am not for one minute suggesting that i know 100% exactly how algo's work and adapt, yet apparently you do? Are you not open to new techniques and practices to which you may not have considered before? Have you tested any of them? If not, then you can not possibly comment with any degree of accuracy.
I've been doing this just as long as anyone, and i'm old and wise enough to know that i do not know some that others know, but also that i may have stumbled upon some practices that others may have missed.
People have differening opinions on things and different techniques, nobody knows exactly what goes on past certain base rules, its 60% proven theory, 40% experimentation. If you havent experimented with what i suggest, then surely your 'guess' is as good as mine, dont you agree?

Edited by adibranch, 30 May 2009 - 09:11 AM.

#15 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:14 AM

Last I checked, Google wasn't case sensitive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.