• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword + Indexing= Confusion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 london123

london123

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

Hello

Newbie here.

Had a look round tons to learn!

I have been working on a new site.

I mistakenly published it (without creating a folder) to a shared hosting account with an existing unrelated live website in it.

I realised the error a day later, deleted and uploaded it to correct folder.

Now when I put in the keyword for the new site(several pages have been indexed already)
the title and description of the new site appear in yahoo.uk( page 1postion 2) but with the url of the existing site.
When I click on it it goes to the existing site.

The person I am doing this for is delighted to be on page 1 @ yahoo but not for the existing site!

My question is will this correct itself or is there anything I can do
apart from laugh at my own mistake?

Thank you

Edited by london123, 28 May 2009 - 08:47 AM.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

Welcome london123 ! hi.gif

Are you saying the erroneous page is still live? In that you can pull it up in your browser and the search engine spiders can still reach it and it still delivers the content?

If so, you'll want to set up a 301 redirect to the actual location of the page(s).

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:43 AM

And if not, yes, it will correct itself.

#4 london123

london123

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

Hi

Thank you for the welcome and the replies.

I will leave it a bit and see if it corrects itself.

If not i'll try your suggestion Randy.

Thank you

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

Either I'm misunderstanding your response or something's getting lost somewhere.

If the original page is still live and still resides at the same url address waiting isn't going to cure the situation. The engines will view it as they already know the original url, so unless the new one has something extra special going for it they're going to continue to show that one.

The same is going to be true if you have one of several kinds of redirects in place. Including javascript redirects, meta refresh redirects and even 302 server side redirects.

If any of the above is happening you need to put a 301 redirect into place.

If the old page is gone and delivering a proper 404 Not Found server response they engines will eventually catch up, assuming you've got some link building started on the real domain. But it's going to take some time. Personally I'd still do a 301 to get the process moving faster.

If there's a 301 already in place then I'd wait. But that's the only case in which I'd wait because without the 301 you're going to be potentially causing confusion for the spiders.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.