• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Tracking Se's Search Term And Ibls

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

I'm looking at some tracking code I want to write myself, only I'm at a loss as to how you obtain the info.

1stly, how do you know what search term was used to find your site, does G! set some type of cookie which can be read to find search term.

Also how do you track where IBL's come from, HTTP_REFERER is not reliable in any platform/language, what else is there, I thought security and privacy meant you cannot track this info infact FireFox used to block HTTP_REFERER by default, not sure if it still does.

So where would you get this info, I didn't think you could?

#2 portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

For what it's worth, we use HTTP_referer here and find that it works reasonably well. No tracking method is 100%. But if you get enough traffic, you should get a very representative slice of traffic.

One question: Is your site using a javascript 'bug'-based analytics package, like Google Analytics? If so, you could store and parse the cookie the script generates. We store the UTMz cookie all the time as a double-check for HTTP_referer.

#3 Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:42 PM

You don't have anything other than the HTTP_REFERER you can use 1dmf. That's it, so you have to resign your self to the fact that it's never going to be 100% accurate.

This referrer however will include the search term. You just need to program your tool to know which variable to look for from which search engine referral.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.
No new posts or registrations allowed.