• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Tool Local Search Volumes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 06:23 PM

So, I've just been trying to do some keyword research for some phrases using the Australia locality on the Keyword Tool. Normally the tool is set to 'English, United Kingdom', but I set it to 'English, Australia' to get search volumes from Australian searches.

After refinement, the local search volume data returned looked a bit suspect (volumes slightly too high for what I would have expected), so I returned the settings to 'English, United Kingdom' and ran the phrases again - the local search volume was exactly the same.

So I then tried the External Keyword Tool via Google Australia (https://adwords.goog....rdToolExternal) and... the search volume was exactly the same.

Which leaves me wondering... Is Google faulty? Is 'local' search volume returned on the basis of your IP address? What's the point of the locality settings if all volumes returned are the same?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 02:38 AM

I assume you're talking solely about Google's keyword tool then?

If so, I'm not sure how it works for local searches. I can't remember ever seeing them say anything at all about how they come up with those numbers.

You may be better served by using the local keyword feature of a tool like Keyword Discovery for such research. Because it certainly sounds like Google is doing something funky if they all show the same data.

#3 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

Might it be your expectations that are wrong? I tried a search for Tesco, guessing that it would be not too strong in Australia, but there were 60,500 searches per month, which seemed high to me. The I looked at the UK
- 11,100,000 per month! Maybe it's immigrant poms reminding themselves about their favourite supermarket? Or have Tesco started to move into Australia as well?

I also looked up "shark attacks" thinking it must be much higher in Australia, but the UK was a shade higher. Guess it must be the higher population and morbid outlook :-) You might be suffering a similar skew that brings the numbers to be about the same. Experiment with other searches... in my experience Google keyword seems pretty accurate. And so it should be -- Google don't need to do anything complicated to get these numbers.

#4 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

Well, I've just tried the tool again and the results seem to be back in line with what I was originally expecting - whatever the problem was, it's been fixed and the two localities are no longer displaying the same results. phew.gif!

Randy, I've always been quite wary of Keyword Discovery. I've tried it before (the free version) and the volumes returned seem to be incredibly low for the phrases I've researched. Maybe it's not a problem for US-centric data, but I didn't trust what I was seeing for UK search data.

My philosophy has been that, with Google's Keyword Tool, the data must be "straight from the horse's mouth", so to speak, even if it isn't always deadly accurate. After seeing endless debates about how accurate it is, I just decided to stick with it regardless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!