• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Stop Characters In Urls

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:43 PM

My instincts say this is a problem, but maybe some other folks can weigh in:

Say I have a site with URLs like this:

www.mysite.com/page.morepage.htm

or

www.mysite.com/page.morepage

Won't using periods instead of dashes or slashes cause problems with spiders? If I were a spider (and I'm not!) I'd look to the period as an indicator that "everything that goes before this describes the file" and "everything that goes after describes the file type".

More curious than anything. Thanks all.

#2 Bri

Bri

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:53 PM

I would be inclined to agree, however, I don't have evidence to support that. Is there any reason why you can't use another character such as an underscore or dash?

#3 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE(Bri @ May 25 2009, 10:53 AM) View Post
I would be inclined to agree, however, I don't have evidence to support that. Is there any reason why you can't use another character such as an underscore or dash?

Oh, no reason on MY part. It's about the folks who built the site.

I know that dashes are word separators where almost no other character is, so again, I'm inclined to think the use of periods hurts the site.

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

As long as the server can deliver the pages the search engines won't care. To them they'e all simple text characters.

However I encourage people to stick with the more standard way of constructing urls. Because what may work just fine today could become a problem tomorrow if some server software gets updated or a site has to be moved to a different server that does not allow non-standard urls.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:10 PM

Won't using periods instead of dashes or slashes cause problems with spiders?

Nope, it shouldn't at all be a problem for the spiders. You can in fact make up names for file extensions and it's not a problem. Heard that from Google reps like 6 or 7 years ago, in fact.

#6 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 25 2009, 11:10 AM) View Post
Nope, it shouldn't at all be a problem for the spiders. You can in fact make up names for file extensions and it's not a problem. Heard that from Google reps like 6 or 7 years ago, in fact.

Interesting. In her Office Hours podcast Vanessa Fox mentioned non-standard characters could be a problem. But she's not been in the Google loop for a while.

#7 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:43 PM

That's true -- but a period is a standard character. smile.gif

I think she might have been talking about things like the ASCII extended character set and stuff like that. Those sorts of things can sometimes cause problems.

--Torka mf_prop.gif

#8 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 25 May 2009 - 08:47 PM

Well, technically speaking in the *nix world having a file that has multiple periods is not non-standard. But like I said above, it depends upon your server, its platform and how it's configured.

A vanilla *nix box hates spaces in filenames. Microsoft/IIS doesn't care. In *nix capitalization is important. In MS/IIS it's not. In *nix multiple dots are just fine. Last time I used an MS/IIS server it would squawk about those in some configurations.

Now what the search engines will grab really comes down to how the server interprets any of those characters. If the server can handle 'em and deliver a valid page with a 200 OK response, the engines seem to grab 'em. But just because they do doesn't necessarily mean you should use 'em. Because your next server may or may not support such things out of the box.

#9 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:19 AM

Your instincts are probably wrong on this. Be careful of the "it looks unusual -- run!" instinct. It's a biological instinct that's worth having because if something is unusual and you don't run 1 in a million times it might be a poisonous spider. Google isn't a poisonous spider. As long as you are acting rationally and not producing something that Google would dismiss as spam, or something that will upset readers too much, it's always worth trying "the unusual".

Experiment with searching for common sites like "amazon-dot-com" and you will URLs with the dotty format, and they do seem sensible. For instance, it is sensible for sites that give you information on sites to have the URL of the site as a page name.

#10 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:08 AM

QUOTE(portentint @ May 25 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post
Interesting. In her Office Hours podcast Vanessa Fox mentioned non-standard characters could be a problem. But she's not been in the Google loop for a while.

I thought you were talking about periods. If you meant non-standard characters such as what Vanessa Fox was talking about (unless she specifically mentioned periods), then it is of course, a whole 'nother ballgame.

#11 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 26 2009, 06:08 AM) View Post
I thought you were talking about periods. If you meant non-standard characters such as what Vanessa Fox was talking about (unless she specifically mentioned periods), then it is of course, a whole 'nother ballgame.

She did mention periods, yes. Sorry, I was mixing my nomenclature. Long weekend-itis.

I guess my UNIX geekiness is showing through: To me, a non-standard STRUCTURE is as bad as a non-standard character. So using periods to do anything but separate the filename from the file type seems... just wrong. I'll have to acknowledge this whole Windows thing isn't a fad after all, I guess.

#12 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 11:38 AM

QUOTE(portentint @ May 26 2009, 12:22 PM) View Post
I guess my UNIX geekiness is showing through: To me, a non-standard STRUCTURE is as bad as a non-standard character. So using periods to do anything but separate the filename from the file type seems... just wrong. I'll have to acknowledge this whole Windows thing isn't a fad after all, I guess.

Google do not cater solely for UNIX geeks they cater for every variety of human, geek or not. Calling a web page www-dot-amazon-dot-com is something a human being might do, and might have entirely valid reasons for doing so. So why should Google not allow it? Why should they penalize it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.