• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Bankruptcy, New Business, Nameservers And .htaccess

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

I have a website in which the original business has gone south. All traffic directed there should go to the new business/domain. I repointed the godaddy nameservers to the new hosting situation. Then I did the following in the .htaccess of the new domain.

CODE
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^bankrupted_site.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.new_business.com/$1 [R=301]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^bankrupted_site.com$
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.new_business.com/$1 [R=301]

If someone goes to www.bankrupted_site.com they are immediately taken to www.new_business.com. For the purposes of SEO will this effectively pass the accumulated SEO to the new domain or is there a better way to accomplish this? Thx.

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:02 AM

Did you mean to have duplicate redirects, or was that something that happened when the code tags were added to clean things up? FTR, you can redirect both www and non-www with a single Rewrite Condition by using a conditional statement around the www part.

CODE
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^(www\.)?bankrupted_site.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.new_busness.com/$1 [R=301,L]

As for

will this effectively pass the accumulated SEO to the new domain or is there a better way to accomplish this?

It's basically the only way to do it. But it doesn't transfer over the accumulated SEO since it doesn't transfer on page content or anything like that. It simply allows link popularity to flow through.

#3 bobmeetin

bobmeetin

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:20 AM

Did you mean to have duplicate redirects...
- I think I live for it. However on a more serious note, the 3 liner works for me, thx. I found the example in a google search.

So to clarify my question, when a business/domain goes away for any reason and is resurrected as a new domain (with no time lapse), if I am understanding your reply, then there is a price to pay.

To transfer page content, page by page, could I do something like this in the .htaccess of the new website?

CODE
RewriteRule www.bankrupted_site/services.php services.php [R=301,L] or
RewriteRule http://www.bankrupted_site/services.php services.php

Or would I have to take a step backwards with the nameservers and all and do soemthing like that on the original www.bankrupted_site.com?

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:09 PM

Will all of the new domain pages have the same content as the old domain pages had? With exactly the same structure?

If the 2nd answer is Yes you don't need to do anything more than the 3 line redirect. It'll automatically do those page-to-page redirects. That's what the $1 part is.

If the answer to both questions is Yes, you're probably going to end up in pretty good shape. There may be a brief outage, but it'll be a reasonable one most times. Basically just the time it takes to crawl those new pages. If the old domain was still up and running up until the switch its pages are likely going to hold their place in the search engines until the switch over occurs.

To the engines it's going to look like you simply decided to change domains but keep all of the content the same. While changing domains is never a process that should be welcomed with open arms, you're in about the best position you could be to maintain rankings. So if there's an outage I would expect it to be a short one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.