• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo For Asp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tinabug

Tinabug

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 04:18 PM

I'm looking at optimizing a website where all the pages are aspx. When you type in the web address, ie. www.thesite.com, it pulls up www.thesite.com/default.aspx

This is not a complex site. When I look at the structure, I see an index.html linking to about 5 aspx pages (one of which is /default.aspx).

My questions are: 1. Should I bother optimizing the index page, since it seems to bypass it and go directly to the /default.aspx? 2. Can the aspx pages be optimized just like html pages? 3. If Iím backlinking, should I ask for backlinks to the .com or the .com/default/aspx?

Thanks for any input!

#2 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:04 PM

Welcome to HR Tina!

First, aspx pages are no different than html pages as far as SEO is concerned.

Second, I would delete the index.aspx page and in the IIS management console set the default.aspx page to be the default/home page. That way any request
to www.thesite.com automatically goes to the default.aspx.

Third, it's always best to request links to fully qualified URLs and the specific pages like: www.thesite.com/default.aspx

#3 Tinabug

Tinabug

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:12 PM

Many thanks BB!

#4 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

Hi Tina,

I have to differ a bit with BB. You need to request links to www.yourdomain.com without the 'default.aspx'.

www.yourdomain.com is the main canonical domain for your site. Most folks will link to it. Default.aspx is the page name IIS assumes is the 'index' page, just like Apache assumes index.html is the 'index' page.

It's very, very important that you build links to the simplest domain - www.yourdomain.com from within your own site, and that you request other sites link there, too.

I'd even go so far as setting up a 301 redirect from www.yourdomain.com/default.aspx to www.yourdomain.com.

Hope this helps!

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:47 AM

If www.example.com 301 redirects to /default.aspx then it's fine, imo.

#6 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

That way any request to www.thesite.com automatically goes to the default.aspx.
If you configure the web server so that the default home page is default.aspx, then there is no need to 301 redirect.

Also, welcome portentint and what I was recommending is to always think that way for all pages. It doesn't necessarily apply to the default home page if IIS is properly configured, but then again it doesn't hurt for an external link to point directly to the default.aspx page. As a result, I kept my answer short and to the point.

#7 portentint

portentint

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 10:00 AM

Ah, OK. Sorry - the noob should keep his trap shut smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.