• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Building A New Website - How Will Google React?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jayfront

jayfront

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:18 AM

My website, <removed>, has been running for a number of years and we have excellent search engine rankings including many number 1 positions. (I don't quite know how as we have never done link building or search engine optimizations and my entire website has the same title, no alt tags and is all in javascript)

After an audit of the website it is clear that i have to make these changes and we have decided building a brand new SEO friendly website for <removed> and it's sister site <removed> (which doesn't have such good ranking) is the best move.

I'm worried though that if after 5 years over night we change the entire website, structure format etc. (even if it is much more SEO friendly and follows all the guidelines much more closely than the current website does) that i will drop out of the search engines or lose some rankings.

Am I worrying unnecessarily or is this something that could happen?

#2 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

Changing anything can have an impact when re-indexed, and if as you say you are already number 1, well then it's imposible to improve things isn't it?

So if the move goes well, you won't see any change, if it goes badly, then you will drop.

there must be a reason why you rank so high, and doing a little checking myself, 81,000 pages for the words cardiff and jobs , shows that the competition isn't too high, which makes it easier to rank from the start.

As long as you do a good job on the re-write and ensure you 301 redirect any pages which become obsolete, I don't see you having a big problem, you will mor than likely pick up some extra keyphrases including longtail if you use your title tag more wisely!

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

Am I worrying unnecessarily or is this something that could happen?

Yes, and no.

There are definitely things you need to watch out for when you redesign your website which is why [shameless plug] High Rankings offers a website redesign consultation [/shameless plug].

There's nothing worse than getting the call after the redesign, when all rankings/traffic was lost unnecessarily.

It can be done seamlessly, and just because you have a spiffy new design doesn't make Google mad at you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.