• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Tag Trashed, Below The Fold I Crashed...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:33 AM

Why?

I inadvertently deleted the closing quote in my keyword tag thereby invalidating it and everything beneath it, including the description tag and most everything else (!)

The page was at number 1 in the SERPs for ages before I deleted the quote. After deleting the quote it ended up below the fold.

Why?

What semantics did I wreck that was important for SEO?

The only syntax change I made was deleting the quote, so raw text appears to be of little importance (apart from getting me on page 1 :-)

My guesses:

* the keyword semantics is important.
* having valid meta tags is important.
* Google changed it's algorithm (I wish they would stop doing that :-)

Note to self -- be a good boy and use the W3C validator more often...

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

The page was at number 1 in the SERPs for ages before I deleted the quote. After deleting the quote it ended up below the fold.

My guess would be it's a coincidence, or you actually deleted more than you think and the important stuff from the page couldn't be indexed properly.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:01 AM

Or it's possible that removing one little quote messed up Google's ability to read anything below that in the entire page, including all of your copy. They're usually more forgiving than that, but you just never know when dealing with a mistake that in theory can affect everything on the page.

#4 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:36 PM

What Jill & Randy said, and/or you coulda just got out SEO'd.

#5 mal4mac

mal4mac

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 05:08 AM

I'm back above the fold :-)

But I don't know why :-(

Looking at the cache reveals that my re-vamped page hasn't even been googled yet! So Jill's coincidence idea is looking good, and it looks like Google are messing around with their algorithm. Here was the order of pages a few days ago (assume keyword is widget and my page is me/widget):

me/widget
widget.com
naffhotelsite/widget
google news

Yesterday it went to:

widget.com
widget.com/anotherwidget
naffhotelsite/widget
google news
me/widget :-(

Now today we have

widget.com
naffhotelsite/widget
me/widget

Notice by "naffhotelsite" widget I don't mean the hotel is naff, it's a really good one. The on-page SEO is next to non-existent. It smacks of some non-SEO type getting lucky by creating a decent title. So it looks like I've been out-SEOed by someone not even bothering to do SEO. The shame :-) But I guess the hotel site is getting lots of juice from travel sites...

Also - the cache reveals the hotel page hasn't changed for a month.

The widget.com page is looking a whole lot better today, both for readers and SEO. Maybe I upset them by relegating them to position 2? See the good we SEO types do! I'm quite proud of thinking that I might have forced them to create a better page...

P.S. On looking more closely, the hotel page is quite intriguing. Maybe it's an SEO super guru at work? For instance it has a title:

Widget: Device: Thingy

That is, widget preceding two close synonyms of widget.

The page has empty keyword and description tags!

The URL is short and synonymy, like:www.poshhotel.com/widget%20device%20thingy.htm

(Are spaces better than hyphens?)

It only has one paragraph of readable text in which "widget" appears only once.

It has a <!--comment at the top which contains "widget".

(Do these comments count at all? I didn't think they did, but...)

In the head it has a javascript tag of the form <script language=JavaScript1.1 src=widget%20device%20thingy/adsWrapper.js"></SCRIPT>

There are several forms which have generated a plethora of links to widget.com (around thirty!). So I guess that gives the page a high density count for "widget". I also guess the page gets a gold star for linking to widget.com? But would it get thirty gold stars for linking thirty times?

What would you do to beat a page like this? I'm thinking my synonym idea is too far fetched, and I should explore adding more links to widget.com. But I already link to widget.com through both a text link with "widget" in the anchor and an image link with an alt="widget". Maybe I need some javascript labelled "widget"?

#6 torka

torka

Vintage Babe

• 4,825 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE(mal4mac @ May 20 2009, 06:08 AM) View Post
The page has empty keyword and description tags!

Not a big deal. Google doesn't even index the keyword meta. smile.gif

(Are spaces better than hyphens?)

No, in fact on some systems spaces are considered illegal "characters". They can cause problems. Much better to use a hyphen.

It has a <!--comment at the top which contains "widget".

(Do these comments count at all? I didn't think they did, but...)

Nope, they don't count.

But would it get thirty gold stars for linking thirty times?

I seriously doubt it...

I'm thinking my synonym idea is too far fetched, and I should explore adding more links to widget.com.

Linking out isn't going to help you as much as getting links in. Can you get widget.com to link to you instead? smile.gif

--Torka mf_prop.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.