• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

What Qualifies As A Backlink?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dhirubhai

dhirubhai

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

I've got a lot of websites under my control, ones that my company has built over the years. I've linked some of these sites, one-way, to ours. What I've done with some is add a "built by Dotcom Development" type link in the footer and in others, where the client doesn't want us mentioned, I've linked some relevant text from in their site content, from the main page copy. None of these links seem to show when I type our site's name or URL into Google. And some of the ones that used to show, the ones with links in the footer, they no longer appear either.

Maybe Google just doesn't show all the results. Maybe a piece of text with a link to our site isn't worthy of being counted as a "result" in a search. But is it counted in our rankings?

Has Google downgraded footer links?

What exactly counts as a backlink?

Do I need to modify these links to have titles? That's something I've never really done.

Does anybody know?

Jon.

#2 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

A link , is a link is a link. Every link / webpage has its own value, but only G! knows what it is!

There is no way of checking IBL's , the nearest you'll get is via GWMT.

Title attributes do not carry any SEO weight AFAIK, you should use the 'tooltip' title attribute to assist your visitors not for trying to gain keyword weight in the SE's

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:53 AM

where the client doesn't want us mentioned, I've linked some relevant text from in their site content, from the main page copy.

Off topic, but does the client know you've done that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.