• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domain Change Results In Pagerank Loss

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dowhatnow

dowhatnow

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:41 AM

Hey guys,
Recently changed domain name and had the old domain 301 to the new domain even with this in place it went from a PR 5 to a PR3. The new primary domain previous was 301 to what is now the old domain, basically we swapped them around. Any ideas why I've lost PR, am I now seeing the PR of the new domain? Will I get the PR 5 back?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

Impossible to say. In fact it's impossible to say if the domain change was even a factor.

The reason it's impossible to say is that Toolbar PR does not show real PR.

How about your rankings and traffic. You didn't mention them. Have your rankings taken a tumble as well? Has your traffic decreased dramatically?

As we've said about a thousand times, changing your domain is not for the faint of heart and should only be done for valid, non-SEO reasons. Because there is always risk involved.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

Any ideas why I've lost PR, am I now seeing the PR of the new domain? Will I get the PR 5 back?

Of course you've lost toolbar PR. It's only updated like 4 times a year. Once the next update comes, yours will probably be back if you've got your redirects in place correctly.

#4 Andy_Seo

Andy_Seo

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Have you lost any rankings? How has the traffic been to your website? I would only be concerned if you've lost rankings, which has then resulted in a loss of traffic. I'm with Jill and Randy, pay no attention to the toolbar - just concentrate on the traffic and making sure those visitors stick to the website.

I would be interested to know if you have lost rankings since the 301 redirect went live.

#5 dowhatnow

dowhatnow

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

Unfortunately the domain change was essential from a business perspective. I did everything I knew how to, to ensure that it was as 'safe' as possible. There have been no changes in traffic which is a positive.

I need to explain why it happened, I'm looking for potential reasons/ explanations as it basically happened over night last week.

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,863 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:42 AM

I need to explain why it happened, I'm looking for potential reasons/ explanations as it basically happened over night last week.

I already explained why it happened above. New domain, it won't get it's PR updated until the next update, prolly in a few months. It means nothing, tell them not to worry about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!