• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

301 Redirects Without Hosting

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KateG

KateG

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi Everyone!

I looked through the articles and could find an answer for this particular problem:

I have a client who wants to change their domain. For about 14 years they've used the same URL and now they want to switch without losing any of their PR. Both domains are on separate hosts right now, which enabled me to set up 301 redirects between domains via a .htaccess file mod - which was fine. Now they want to have the old domain simply point to the new one and get rid of hosting for it altogether, so I won't be able to use the .htaccess file.

The domain is with GoDaddy, and I know that they simply refuse to set up a 301, opting instead for a 302.

Is there any way to not lose all the PR generated over the 14 years they've had this domain?

Help! (and thanks!!!)

Kate

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:30 PM

Your registrar well well offer something called Domain Parking or Domain Aliasing. If they do you can use this to send traffic looking for one domain name over to another domain. Then set up a simple negative match redirect (assuming you're on *nix hosting, I'm not sure that's easily possible on a Windows box) to issue a proper 301. Check with GoDaddy. If memory serves I believe they call it a Domain Alias. (The two are the same thing.)

If your registrar doesn't offer parking/aliasing service there are other ways to do it. But you're going to need to have decent control over your DNS. Your host can usually help you with that sort of thing. Again, after the parking/aliasing is sorted you'd want to set up a 301 to get all traffic headed for pages on the old domain over to the new one.

#3 KateG

KateG

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ May 14 2009, 02:30 PM) View Post
Then set up a simple negative match redirect

Ah, okay - that's where I was unclear. I wasn't sure how to get the SEs to recognize that they are no longer two different sites.

Thanks!!

biggrin.gif

Edited by KateG, 14 May 2009 - 02:16 PM.

#4 KateG

KateG

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

We're on a IIS box - I'll let you know how the negative redirect goes.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

I'm not sure there's a way to do it on IIS. I've never seen a way to do it at the server level. Hopefully Chris, Ian or one of our other IIS gurus will stop by and let ya know if there's an easy way to do it via the admin panel.

If you happen to have a header file that gets pulled into the beginning of each page and are using a server side scripting language like ASP you should be able to do it as a scripted redirect too. The key there being that you can put it as the very first thing in every page to make sure the redirect happens before headers are sent to the browser.

#6 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

[attachment=900:301.gif]If you have access to the IIS webserver and simply want to redirect (301) one domain to another, it's easy... i do this for .com to .co.uk , when we have both TLD's as well as www to non-www.

screen shot attached...

Basically create a website in the normal manner, give it any old folder as its root directory.

Add all the headers (virutal domain names) you want to redirect.

then open the website properties and go to the 'Home Directory' tab, simply set the redirection up as per the screen shot.

Hope it helps wink1.gif

#7 KateG

KateG

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:05 AM

So, I just spoke with the hosting manager here (who's coordinating the domain move), and because of an app we have (that's URL dependent apparently), domain aliasing won't work.... (I have to admit that the details she went into went waaaay above my head)
>.<;

Any other ideas?

If your registrar doesn't offer parking/aliasing service there are other ways to do it. But you're going to need to have decent control over your DNS. Your host can usually help you with that sort of thing.

Is there an article or something I can read on this? We control our own hosting, so I should be able to set it all up.

Thanks again!!!

#8 KateG

KateG

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the help guys!!!

We finally convinced the client not to removed the old host, so it's all set.

Thanks though, I really appreciate the help. notworthy.gif

Edited by KateG, 15 May 2009 - 08:17 AM.

#9 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 08:59 AM

because of an app we have (that's URL dependent apparently),

You can install the app on the new domain and update the URL dependancy coded in the app surely?

I can understand an app being 'directory structure' dependent but seems odd to be domain name, if it's doing some HTTP_REFERER checking or other 'current URL' checking, it would be a sinch to change to the new URL, one would assume.

But that's a dangerous thing to do.... never ASSUME anything lol.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.