• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Seo/sem Resources

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Myst

Myst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 08:01 AM

Hi All,
I was hoping for some feedback on what books, dvds, etc to pick up that would be complementary to reading everything here. I have a personal budget of $500. What do you recommend?

Jill,
If I was to spend it all on your product line, what would you recommend I pick up?

Thanks all.

-Sarah
Newbie that wants to Know smile.gif

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 09:19 AM

It depends on what you want to learn.

If you're interested in copywriting, then the combo with my Nitty-gritty Book and Karon's copywriting course is well worth the money. Check on Karon's site for that as I don't think I have a page with the combo offering anymore.

Our SEO Training DVDs from a past seminar is also chock full of info. It's a few years old, but most of the info that we provided does not go out of style.

#3 Myst

Myst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:07 AM

Thanks Jill!
Great session the other night. I can't wait to attend your next one!

-Sarah

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

There are so many it's hard to narrow it down to a small list. But if I had to I'd start off with those Jill has already mentioned. Goodness knows I've recommended them enough that I should be on somebody's payroll. lol.gif

Beyond those, other books I'd recommend include:

Books from the Eisenberg brothers of FutureNow. These tend to revolve around their Persuasion Architecture, but are still good resources for improving conversions. The titles Call to Action and Waiting For Your Cat To Bark leap to mind first.

They also have grokdotcom.com, which is a free resource that focuses on conversion analytics concepts. Another good resource for conversion info is MarketingExperiments.com. And of course Marketing Experiments and Marketing Sherpa are now part of the same organization and Marketing Sherpa has put out some good books over the years.

The only other Analytics type of book I've read and found worthy is by the Google analytics guru himself, Avinash Kaushik. That one is called Web Analytics: An Hour A Day.

For sound web design concepts one called The Principles of Beautiful Web Design by Jason Beaird and put out by Sitepoint is a good and easy read.

Steve Krug's Don't Make Me Think is a must have as far as I'm concerned. Its main focus is usability, but of course usability directly affects conversion, user satisfaction, site crawlability, etc, etc. Easy to read, sensible and easy to implement on almost any site.

One that I don't see mentioned often but is pretty darned good is called Web Copy That Sells by Maria Veloso. Maria worked as the right hand "man" and copywriter for Mark Joyner of Aesop Marketing back in the day. And love him or hate him his stuff sold like crazy, mostly because of his and Maria's well crafted copy. She does a pretty good job in the book of de-mystifying how to write captivating direct response web copy. Even for non-writers.

Those are the ones on my bookshelf that I seem to revisit time after time to keep myself on track.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Myst @ May 14 2009, 11:07 AM) View Post

Thanks!

If you can budget more than $500, I'd also highly recommend our seo training class.

#6 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Cool never knew you could pop round Jill's for a sesh!

drunk.gif toast.gif drinking.gif

#7 Myst

Myst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 01:41 PM

I might have another contract coming in from a major real estate firm here in Boston. If I get the contract, you'll see me June 22 lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.