• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Registration/hosting Seo Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Scenario: There is an established website (nearly 10 years old) that incidentally ranks very well in Google. A network of websites is built to support this website, provide links and push extra traffic through to the main website. Is it advisable to host each of these websites from a different hosting company so they do not appear to be connected? And what about the registrar - does it make any difference if they have the same one?

Thanks guys! thumbup1.gif

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

It shouldn't matter, but it might.

Initial implication would mean if G! did penalise this sort of thing or assume association just because of website on same server or hosting, that would affect 1,000 upon 1,000 of innocent websites, just because they use the same hosting company!

but there may be some flag which gets raised for a human to do some more digging and apply manual penalties, no-one can say 100% on this one!

As for registrar, I doubt it very much, one registrar may have a million domains under it's control, impossible to work out association there, though they may do some WHOSI analysis. Again no-one could possibly say for sure, but it is unlikely.

#3 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Yep that's what I was thinking (about registrars). Anyway, thanks for the help. I think to be safe it's probably best to host from different companies.

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:11 AM

Is it advisable to host each of these websites from a different hosting company so they do not appear to be connected?

If your intention is to deceive (spam) the search engines, then yes, you'll want them on different hosts.

I don't recommend search engine deception as a good SEO technique, however.

#5 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:45 PM

I would not worry about multiple hosting and registration sources. I feel that is way overthinking the process (and it's based on an SEO myth that was started several years ago when people incorrectly assumed that Google had incorporated two theoretical algorithms into its Web search).

#6 Mr Biggles

Mr Biggles

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:00 AM

QUOTE(Michael Martinez @ May 16 2009, 04:15 AM) View Post
I would not worry about multiple hosting and registration sources. I feel that is way overthinking the process (and it's based on an SEO myth that was started several years ago when people incorrectly assumed that Google had incorporated two theoretical algorithms into its Web search).

Dragging up an oldie but if I was someone at google in charge of these type of things, I would most definitely use these two variables to help accertain relationships between sites.

Why? because it makes sense, it would be difficult to manually pick many different hosts & register under many different companies. I am sure it can be done by people smarter than myself, however it would create a labour intensive barrier for people to get past.

How long would it take a decent server to get through a couple of million records? even if its only updated once every few weeks, it would still be quite conceivable.

Credit cards used to purchase domains, registration company, hosting providers, they are all things that would be difficult to manipulate & difficult to hide. Its the one thing that could stop someone from dominating a search term with 50 different domain names with a couple of pages for each domain. Someone who is decent at SEO could literally flood the first few pages of a search result with what is essentially the same company.

Why wouldn't a search engine provider use these sources of information to help filter out domain relationships.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!