• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Nofollow Tag Making Me Dizzy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chewla

Chewla

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

Hi HRF experts! I've been lurking for some time (reading the newsletter for over a year), and I find the information here to be uniformly helpful. Now I've hit a wall, so I'm coming out of the shadows to ask for your input. Your thoughts are much appreciated!

First, I'm not a coder, but I try to keep up by reading as much as I can about SEO/coding, etc. I am employed as a copywriter, and a lot of our coding is done by a company hundreds of miles away. They seem busy much of the time, and when I asked about this particular meta tag, they sent me a paragraph from Wikipedia about robots.txt, which I didn't find very helpful. I've tried searching the web and these forums in particular, and although lots of questions about nofollow have been answered, I can't find one that references this particular problem. If I've missed it, please redirect me to the appropriate thread!

What I'm wondering is if it is a good idea for our homepage (and nearly every page of our site) to feature the following tags:

<meta name="robots" content="no,follow">
<meta name="googlebot" content="nofollow">

I'm also not clear on what the deal is with the comma between "no" and "follow"....I feel silly for asking--but I couldn't find another example of the use of a comma there. What does it mean?

Thanks so much for humoring a non-coder. I'm looking forward to learning more about this so I can better contribute to these forums!

-Chewla

#2 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 10:53 AM

from what i can tell you do not want your site to be indexed nor the links on your site to be followed, is that correct?

i'm not sure the comma will work as it is, but it might just see the NO as don't index, don't follow, don't pass go or collect 200.00!

here are details of the correct usage... http://www.w3.org/Se...s/Spidering.txt

#3 Chewla

Chewla

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:27 AM

Great! I read the info on the page you mentioned, and that was way more helpful than the Wikipedia entry, for sure. For the life of me, I don't know why we wouldn't want our site indexed or the links (mostly internal) nofollowed. But as I suspected, that's what we're signaling to all bots that come by: do not pass go, do not collect $200... (or 200... wink1.gif)

Since we don't use "noindex" specifically, does that mean that our internal pages could still be indexed through the sitemap (just not accessed and indexed through our internal links, since the nofollow tag prevents it)? Could that be happening? We've ranked for some keywords for several years--a few to internal pages--so we've definitely been indexed somehow. Though now that I think about it, some of our internal pages don't seem to be ranked like they used to be.

Thanks so much for the reply!

-Chewla

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 04:39 PM

As long as the spiders can still find the pages in some way they'd be indexed. But honestly I can't think of a single good reason for the meta robots to be in there at all. That goes for any page you want to be indexed. You're effectively killing your internal link popularity, making them guess at which pages you consider to be the most important.

#5 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 03:51 AM

You're effectively killing your internal link popularity, making them guess at which pages you consider to be the most important.
but having it any other way would be PR sculpting surely wink1.gif

#6 Chewla

Chewla

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:06 AM

Thanks so much to you both. You've put into words the problems I couldn't quite articulate to our web people. I'm off to try to convince them that this is a terrible idea (or at least learn what the heck the reasoning is behind it)!

smile.gif
Chewla

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!