• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Hosting Issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 scouseflip

scouseflip

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hi folks

My inexperience will no doubt be shining through in this post, but I'm stuck and need help please!

I have taken on a project for a small company - simple ecommerce site. Only problem I'm having is that I can't see to get access to their live site/domain. The site is registered by the previous owner of the company for whom I am building the site but is hosted with a web design company that they are no longer using (I have not yet approached these guys but have been warned that they may noit be too helpful - as such I want to make sure I know what I'm talking about before I do so!).

How do I get access to the domain in order to point it at a different hosting company?

Thanks!

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

You won't be able to. Or shouldn't be able to.

It'll be up to the owner of the domain to get control of their domain so that they can then change the nameserver information. So unless you have something in writing from them neither the previous design firm, whom I assume registered the domain for the true owner, nor the domain registrar will do much for you.

Hopefully the design firm registered the domain correctly, listing your client as the owner. 50/50 shot on that actually being the case in my experience.

#3 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 09:37 AM

You need to be the person who own/registered it.

If they used a company that is now holding the domain to ransom, you need to request domain transfer to another registrar and have them change the IPS tags.

They may charge a fee for domain release, which as long as is reasonable, they can do this, (but never register a domain with a company that charges for transfers!)

If they are totally holding the domain to ransom, and refuse to play ball, you can complain to the relevant domain body such as Nominet, ICAN, etc. but this can take time for domain dispute resolution.

It depends on how the company / person who originally registered the domain behaves, if they really are being a asshole, it might be cheaper and simpler to start with a new domain name.

I know!, but the alternative can sometimes be a long and messy and EXPENSIVE, legal wranglings.

Everything in business & law has to also equate to mitigating losses, if you can prove you own a domain, you had a brand value to that domain and the 3rd party is truely taking the michael, then you may have a strong case.

But you can't just say "give me my domain" then refuse to pay the $50.00 release/transfer fee and so try to sue them for 1,000's

Well you might get away with it in the USA , but not the UK!

Most reputable domain companies will transfer / update IPS tags for free or a small fee, so don't expect trouble, just be prepared if there is!

#4 scouseflip

scouseflip

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Hi Randy, Nasa

Thanks for your replies - much appreciated!

#5 ScottSalwolke

ScottSalwolke

Scott Salwolke

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:24 AM

QUOTE(Randy @ May 11 2009, 09:36 AM) View Post
Hopefully the design firm registered the domain correctly, listing your client as the owner. 50/50 shot on that actually being the case in my experience.

The sad fact is that most probably don't. I have a couple of clients that lost their domain name because they failed to register it in their name. They ended up having to develop a new domain name. It wasn't just PR they lost, but all the money they invested in marketing material such as business cards, print advertisements, phone book listings, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!