• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Unethical Site Duplication

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Margaret

Margaret

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:14 AM

Hi folks would appreciate some advice.

I was just cruising round some sites and came across one which has effectively stolen a number of pages from one of my sites and duplicated them exactly on their site. These are business sites and quite frankly I am really angry about this. Couple of questions:-

1. Is there anything I can do about this?

2. Will Google penalise us for spamming?

Margaret

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:09 AM

You can email or call them and ask them to take it down. You can also email their host to have their site taken down, and you can file a DMCA violation and submit it to Google which will get it removed from G.

#3 Margaret

Margaret

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 08:23 AM

Thanks for the advice Jill.

I have emailed but no response so far. Will escalate actions if no-one gets back to me.

Margaret

#4 BBCoach

BBCoach

HR 5

• 402 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

It's time for a lawyer. I've had a site scrape everything from one of my sites and emails were ignored. However, a lawyer's notice to cease and desist got their attention. However, they didn't remove the copied info so we sued. Now they're site is down for maintenance and they're on the run from the court. You've got to get serious with thieves. Of course it'll cost you a bit to defend your info. Most don't go that extra step of suing the offender.

#5 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:26 PM

Seen a lot of this happen, if you can do a whois and figure out who the host is, I would be tempted to drop them an email ... recently discovered one site was COMPLETELY ripping off several of our sites with literally no changes to the copy and a minor change to the graphics, they were even scraping 'on the fly' new content, of course this meant we could serve them something different to what we served everyone else ... ;D

1. Tell them your aware (I have often had apoligies and friendly messages back to this!)
2. Tell the host of your intended legal action (cease and desist)
3. DMCA (digital millenium copyright act) to Google etc..

that is usually enough ...!

#6 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(BBCoach @ May 10 2009, 09:17 PM) View Post
It's time for a lawyer. I've had a site scrape everything from one of my sites and emails were ignored. However, a lawyer's notice to cease and desist got their attention. However, they didn't remove the copied info so we sued. Now they're site is down for maintenance and they're on the run from the court. You've got to get serious with thieves. Of course it'll cost you a bit to defend your info. Most don't go that extra step of suing the offender.

I'm having to do that too. Really f*cking annoying having to spend money on a lawyer just because the idiot host won't remove content until an actual lawyer sends it. host should have to cover the lawyer costs!

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

You can always follow up with a small claims suit against all of 'em for the costs incurred. You'll get a judgement because they won't show up to defend anything in your local jurisdiction. The problem being that you'll likely never get the judgement actually paid, meaning you've just spent more money on court filings.

#8 Chewla

Chewla

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 09:39 AM

Hi all, first post here... I'm just wondering if you could get a template for a nice "cease and desist" letter, print it out on fancy letterhead, and priority mail it to get a signature confirming it was received? Maybe that would be enough to scare them into compliance, without necessarily involving lawyers (this from a girl who's hoping to go to law school next year....lol).

smile.gif
Chewla

#9 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ May 13 2009, 04:34 AM) View Post
You can always follow up with a small claims suit against all of 'em for the costs incurred. You'll get a judgement because they won't show up to defend anything in your local jurisdiction. The problem being that you'll likely never get the judgement actually paid, meaning you've just spent more money on court filings.

If you're suggesting that hosting services can be sued for legal costs for following the DMCA conventions, I don't think that is plausible. It would be interesting to see what Ian McAnerin thinks.

#10 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:46 PM

Depends upon if they take action on the DMCA complaint in a timely manner or not. If they don't they're just as liable as the original thief once they've been put on notice.

You do of course have to document real damages, because without those there would be no attorney's fees to begin with. But if you get all of your ducks in a row, yes you can. And the suit by itself will get the stolen content ripped down pronto by the host 99 times out of 100. giggle.gif At least that's been my experience.

Oddly, filing a small claims case is cheaper for me than having my attorney write a stinking C&D letter! Maybe I should start doing the suit instead of lawyer'd C&D, naming the hosting company as a defendant, since that seems to work every time.

#11 Margaret

Margaret

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Thanks, this seems to be quite a common problem so I am feeling less picked on.

I got a reply from the web master as follows:-

'Hello, I have removed the pages at the minute while we re-write them.'

No apology, no explanation and...... they are still there! At least I can still see them but they may just be cached somewhere. How can I check if they are actually gone? As you will have realised I am not an expert at all this!

Margaret girl_cray2.gif

#12 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:48 PM

It's likely they removed links to them from their site, but not the actual information off the server. You'll probably need to tell them that they have to do that as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!