• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Google Redirect Urls In Google Serps Titles

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

Why does the URL in the titles of SERPs change from the original URL to a Google redirect when the SERP is clicked on?

#2 chovy

chovy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE(jsp1983 @ May 8 2009, 07:09 PM) View Post
Why does the URL in the titles of SERPs change from the original URL to a Google redirect when the SERP is clicked on?

I'm guess they do it for sanitation reasons..otherwise someone could get a malicious URL indexed, and potentially inject the SERPs page or a user's experience when they click on it.

Also for tracking purposes...they gather stats on clicks when they redirect it thru ?redirect=http://example.com
if it were a direct link, they wouldn't be able to track outgoing clicks.

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:39 PM

You're talking about the clickable link in the organic SERP listings, right?

If so, normally they aren't going through a redirect. You do see it occasionally when they have some sort of tracking going on, but even then more times than now they're capturing click data via Javascript calls.

Now if you were talking about the Adwords PPC ads, those are a whole other ballgame. There you'll always see a redirect since they need a solid way to capture every single click. Not to mention that the URL that appears in the ad often isn't the exact landing page that's attached to the ad.

#4 jsp1983

jsp1983

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ May 9 2009, 01:39 AM) View Post
You're talking about the clickable link in the organic SERP listings, right?

If so, normally they aren't going through a redirect. You do see it occasionally when they have some sort of tracking going on, but even then more times than now they're capturing click data via Javascript calls.

Yup, they're the ones.

I've just noticed it being an absolute pain* when trying to copy the URL and instead it's copying a Google URL, like so:

http://www.google.co...Q0UOnC8vjLAVb3w

instead of

http://www.webmaster...orum81/2177.htm

*Okay, I know I could just copy the URL from the address bar when opening the site. But that's too much effort, right?

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

They're tracking you. It must be because of that tin foil wrap you have around your 'puter. giggle.gif

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:18 AM

This is a newish thing Google is doing. There was a lot of chatter about it a few weeks ago. It's not just for some people now (I don't think) but pretty much for everyone. They've been making a lot of changes with that including info in the referrer string.

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:46 AM

I haven't gotten them at all in Chrome. Dunno of that's because of dumb luck or maybe because it's Chrome. Even though I've told them I don't want it sending information back home to them, goodness only knows what it's doing when I'm not looking.

(I can tell ya though it wasn't phoning home as of last week when I grabbed the packets in my weekly anti-spyware health check. I'll have to remember to make sure I do a Google search next time I run one of those checks.)

#8 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:00 PM

I haven't personally paid much attention to it, but there have been a lot of articles out there on the subject. I believe Matt Cutts said somewhere that it would be rolled out more to everyone shortly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.