• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Changing Domain Name...how Do I Keep My Rankings?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 flinx777

flinx777

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:45 PM

So I've got a client that is in the process of merging with another business. They are changing the name of the company and so I'm going to have to go in and change the logos and such on his website. The major problem is that we're going to have to change his domain name as well. I've gotten him to the #1 spot on Google for the local business listings for his keywords and since I've launched the site about a year ago (it was a brand new domain name at the time), he's gone from like page 6 to now page 2 and he's slowly but surely moving up for his targeted keywords.

My obvious concern is how do I keep from loosing his position in the search engines for his keywords, especially in the local business section? He gets business from his position on Google, so ideally he'd like to maintain that. Not sure what to do about this...

#2 chovy

chovy

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:41 PM

RedirectMatch olddomain newdomain

#3 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Definitely use a 301 redirect of some type. Whether you use mod_alias' RedirectMatch or mod_rewrite methods or even a scripted redirect for that matter doesn't matter to the search engines. The trick is to make sure the redirects issue a 301 status code.

FTR, if you use RedirectMatch make sure you expressly declare that it should be a 301, like RedirectMatch 301 oldurl newurl because if you don't it's likely your server will default to a 302 redirect. Which is not what you want.

Personally I'd probably use the mod_rewrite method for this type of situation because you can use one simple ruleset to properly redirect every single page. With RedirectMatch you'd need to set up an individual redirect for each page/url.

#4 penstaar

penstaar

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ May 8 2009, 07:35 AM) View Post
Definitely use a 301 redirect of some type. Whether you use mod_alias' RedirectMatch or mod_rewrite methods or even a scripted redirect for that matter doesn't matter to the search engines. The trick is to make sure the redirects issue a 301 status code.

FTR, if you use RedirectMatch make sure you expressly declare that it should be a 301, like RedirectMatch 301 oldurl newurl because if you don't it's likely your server will default to a 302 redirect. Which is not what you want.

Personally I'd probably use the mod_rewrite method for this type of situation because you can use one simple ruleset to properly redirect every single page. With RedirectMatch you'd need to set up an individual redirect for each page/url.

I have the same issue... I want to preserve rankings after we've switched to a new domain name.

Randy, your answer to use 301 isn't consistent with this article "Switching to a New Domain Without Losing Your Google Rankings" http://www.highrankings.com/issue142 which says that 301 doesn't guarantee preservation of rankings due to the Google aging delay.

What say you?

Thanks!

#5 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE(penstaar @ May 20 2009, 01:26 AM) View Post
I have the same issue... I want to preserve rankings after we've switched to a new domain name.

Randy, your answer to use 301 isn't consistent with this article "Switching to a New Domain Without Losing Your Google Rankings" http://www.highrankings.com/issue142 which says that 301 doesn't guarantee preservation of rankings due to the Google aging delay.

What say you?

Thanks!

Randy is right, and so are you ... (and the article) here is the truth - you can not guarantee it! But 301 is the closest you have

Also take a look at this link -
http://www.google.co...mp;answer=70750

You will find that 301'ing EVERY page to the respective page on the other site will work well, but not perfectly - there are few guarantees in the SEO world, typically you will get a very clear dip in traffic, followed by it returning at least to the previous rankings...

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,244 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:43 AM

The info in that article is no longer necessary. 301's do the trick just like they're supposed to now, but didn't when that was written some years ago.

#7 penstaar

penstaar

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Thanks folks! I appreciate the response and will now proceed with confidence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.