• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Domain Keyword Question, Non Plural Sounds Better, Plural More Common.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:20 PM

I have a question, and not sure if it's a big deal or not.
I'm putting up a steroid site. the term 'steroids' is thousands time more popular in search terms than the singular steroid.
I bought these two domains
st*r*id<something>.com
st*r*ids<something>.com
now the singular sounds better. But in terms of people linking in, would it be better to use the plural one, so I have incoming links containing steroids, instead of steroid?

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:13 PM

I doubt it's going to make much difference.

If they're linking with the domain name as the anchor text neither one is either steroid or steroids. They're the non-word that makes up the whole domain name.

If they're linking with more customary anchor text it's going to be up to the person writing the linking code to decide whether to use the singular or plural. Which is probably going to be more heavily affected by the content on your page than the domain name.

#3 doogie88

doogie88

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE(Randy @ May 7 2009, 02:13 PM) View Post
I doubt it's going to make much difference.

If they're linking with the domain name as the anchor text neither one is either steroid or steroids. They're the non-word that makes up the whole domain name.

If they're linking with more customary anchor text it's going to be up to the person writing the linking code to decide whether to use the singular or plural. Which is probably going to be more heavily affected by the content on your page than the domain name.

But what if they anchor the link as 'steroid something' and/or 'steroids something'
?

#4 piskie

piskie

HR 7

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

One of the most valuable attributes of a domain name is for it to be "Memorable" so whichever rolls off the tongue most naturally, is in my book most likely to be remembered.

#5 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

But what if they anchor the link as 'steroid something' and/or 'steroids something'

Then it'll help.

However I must point out again this doesn't have much of anything to do with the domain name you choose to use. Instead it has almost everything to do with how well you do with branding one or the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!