• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

"grey Hat" Seo - What's Your View?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:11 AM

I have recently been introduced to the term "grey hat" SEO. It's basically a combination of white and black hat, hence the name.

It seems like a logical idea to me: Sometimes sites do all of the hard-work that is encouraged such as frequently updating their site with unique content, but a competitor with a weak site might have one high PR link that causes them to be at the top.

So say somebody has a site that is updated on a daily basis with unique, interesting and dynamic content, and the site as a whole is a great site, but it needs that extra push. Is there anything wrong with purchasing a link from a related, high PR website or two? Would Google be able to penalise for that link? If so, how woulf there be any way for them to find out? And why wouldn't they penalise for a banner advert, isn't it exactly the same thing?

#2 seoseattle

seoseattle

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

The only way that I am aware of would be if a competitor or other disgruntaled sico were to report the paid link directly to Google in our webmaster tool section. Rumor also has it that should you purchase a link from a "BAD SITE" that you may be penilized. I am not a believer myself. My vote is for the purchase. I work for Yellowpages.com and we sell monthly contracts in the thousands of dollars.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Is there anything wrong with purchasing a link from a related, high PR website or two?

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. You can purchase links from whomever you want. It's not even "gray hat."

Would Google be able to penalise for that link? If so, how woulf there be any way for them to find out? And why wouldn't they penalise for a banner advert, isn't it exactly the same thing?

They don't penalize for purchased links, they simply try not to count them in their link popularity algorithm if they know for certain that it is a purchased link rather than a vote.

But how would they know unless you tell them?

By telling them I mean that perhaps you're using a link broker, or perhaps it says on the other site that the link is purchased or sponsored.

If the link appears to be a vote, however, Google doesn't just "know" everything. They're not listening in on your conversations on how much the link will be, etc.

(Moving this to the link buying forum as we have more info there. )

#4 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:56 AM

I see, thanks for your help. What if the group of links had previously been headed 'sponsored links' but the website had recently changed the heading to 'featured links'. There's a possibility that Google could have already have seen the previous heading and put some kind of marker on them as purchased links isn't there?

#5 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:57 AM

well they didn't know until you and Jill just told them naughty.gif

But seriously, even if G! finds out and consideres the link 'paid' it's not you who get penalised (if a penalty is imposed), it's the website who hosts the link, not the target website of the URL!

You may lose any PR the link gave you, but this is why you should pay for links for visitor streams and banner advertising / brand awareness and not for gaining inbound PR link juice.

If the paid advert is correctly put on their website, it's likely to have the rel='nofollow' attribute and so won't pass you any PR anyhow!

#6 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:33 AM

QUOTE(ClickClick @ May 7 2009, 11:56 AM) View Post
I see, thanks for your help. What if the group of links had previously been headed 'sponsored links' but the website had recently changed the heading to 'featured links'. There's a possibility that Google could have already have seen the previous heading and put some kind of marker on them as purchased links isn't there?

Who knows? They may even think that phrase "featured links" could be paid for.

Bottom line is we don't know. And honestly, it doesn't matter. Just purchase links that will provide you with targeted traffic to your site and if they count for link pop. it's gravy. If not, then whatever.

#7 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 7 2009, 05:33 PM) View Post
Who knows? They may even think that phrase "featured links" could be paid for.

Yeah you're right. Cheers guys.

#8 scottlpool2003

scottlpool2003

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:29 AM

I don't use any black, red, grey, pink, purple, green or rainbow SEO... Just the old fashioned white hat. I do not believe in buying links, because you are not guarenteed to get your moneys worth. For me, it's just link building and general SEO techniques but hey, everyone has their own comfort zone eh!

#9 mosxu

mosxu

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:04 AM

Link buying makes sense only if you buy them to bring traffic to your website. Let's not forget that Google toolbar measures the clicks a link get. So basicly you can buy links in directories as form of advertising but not on high PR non relevant websites because a flag will be raised.

#10 1dmf

1dmf

Keep Asking, Keep Questioning, Keep Learning

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 05:05 AM

Let's not forget that Google toolbar measures the clicks a link get
not if it isn't installed it doesn't! NEVER use toolbars!

#11 michaelj72

michaelj72

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

if i were you and wanted to purchase links for whatever reason I would try to keep it as you noted as a "related" high pr website. or coming from the page say in a directory that is related to your site/business. then you hopefully get some link juice and some traffic

#12 RoadTrucker

RoadTrucker

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

QUOTE(1dmf @ May 14 2009, 07:05 AM) View Post

Why? Is there a good reason not to?

#13 Michael-F

Michael-F

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE(1dmf @ May 14 2009, 03:05 AM) View Post

I have no problem with Google having more information on what people click. It helps them improve their service, which helps me as both a customer and a user.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!