• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

I Really Need Help With Links

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 tania

tania

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:26 AM

My 1st site is ready for launch. Now how to get the first 10 links? Which of the following should I follow?

1. Submitting articles in article directories
2. Directory Submission
3. Reciprocal link - is the concept still there?

I took a long break due to illness... so just need to update my knowledge.... I tried reading the pinned posts but I have huge workload and not have the time for thorough reading. Can you please summarize? Thank you so much.

#2 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

1. If you have some articles to release , then it won't hurt to submit them to article directories, but only bother with the 'decent' directories, otherwise you could be wasting your time.

2. A directory is a directory is a directory, see no.1, same applis , seek out only 'decent' directories

3. All links are valuable, just don't link for link sake , you could end up linking to bad neighbourhoods!

#3 Myst

Myst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:28 AM

Hi Tania,
I am new to the SEO seen myself, but this is what my teacher talked about last night:

Aim for prweb (paid), ezinearticles, articlemarketer (paid), gtcbay, etc since they are of fair quality. (Sorry if I am not allowed to post this. I am still learning the rules.)
Avoid reciprocal links at all costs. It is sometimes considered "link farming" to google.

Members, please correct me (gently) if I am wrong.

Thanks,
Sarah

#4 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:34 AM

Avoid reciprocal links at all costs. It is sometimes considered "link farming" to google.

Members, please correct me (gently) if I am wrong.

You are.

#5 Myst

Myst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:36 AM

Jill,
I appreciate the updated information. You have been doing this longer than my teacher, so I will certainly take your word for it!

This is why I am here.

Thanks,
Sarah

#6 tania

tania

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:07 PM

So Jill, are you saying that reciprocals are not dead?

#7 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:10 PM

I'm not Jill, but reciprocals done for the right reasons have never been dead and will never die. The crux of the matter being that they're done for the right reasons.

#8 tania

tania

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 12:14 PM

@Sarah,

What if I go for free submission at article marketer? I will still get some traffic and backlinks?

#9 tomsk

tomsk

HR 5

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE(tania @ May 6 2009, 01:14 PM) View Post
@Sarah,

What if I go for free submission at article marketer? I will still get some traffic and backlinks?

You should be doing that to promote your website as part of your strategy and as a by-product of that you may gain some back links.

#10 Myst

Myst

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(tomsk @ May 7 2009, 12:57 PM) View Post
You should be doing that to promote your website as part of your strategy and as a by-product of that you may gain some back links.

Tomsk is right. Promotion is your key. If you get links, that's fantastic, but your goal is to get your name out there.

#11 Michael Martinez

Michael Martinez

HR 10

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:54 PM

If you're trying to obtain links to help with your search engine optimization, understand that a lot of the sites that people in the SEO community have been recommending for years now embed "rel='nofollow'" on their article/press release/blog comment/whatever links (user-generated links). Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo! most likely will not follow those links or allow them to pass anchor text within their indexes.

To get your site indexed you should create XML or TXT sitemaps, list them in your robots.txt file, and authenticate your site with Google, Microsoft, and Yahoo!.

To build links to your site that help with your search engine optimization, find Web sites that provide links to sites like your own -- these can be hobby sites (your best friend's home page), small business partners (your vendors and customers, neighbors, etc.), business directories (some use nofollow now), community resource sites, etc.

Don't depend solely on links for your search engine optimization success, however. That's extremely inefficient. You'll generally do better by adding content to your site that is interesting, informative, and helpful (or entertaining). If you have a blog then make sure the blog pings (notifies blog search indexes that you have published a new article).

Don't be ashamed to ask your visitors to help promote your site. Create a "Spread the word!" campaign where you ask your visitors to link to your site from their own sites. Let them decide how to embed their links. Don't obsess over Toolbar PR or anchor text until it becomes transparently clear that you're trying to rank in a query where everyone else is doing that.

Don't be afraid to exchange links with sites that your visitors will find interesting, but don't just exchange links with other sites (and exchange the links in such a way that the exchange is fair and equitable -- avoid "SEO friendly" link exchanges, "three-way link" scams, etc.).

Don't be afraid to submit to a few directories but check them out with Quantcast.com and Compete.com to make sure they get real traffic (even if only a few hundred thousand visitors per month, that's pretty good). Avoid so-called (especially self-proclaimed) "SEO friendly" Web directories like the plague unless they are getting a lot of traffic.

Don't be afraid to use a press release or two to announce some event your site is associated with, but press releases work best when they announce truly newsworthy events. A lot of people just waste their money on press releases thinking they're link building with useless announcements of nothing interesting.

Don't be afraid to leverage your social media profiles if they receive traffic. Linking to yourself from your own resources is perfectly fine. But be careful not to expect miracles from social media profiles no one visits or links to.

Do be positive about the value you bring to the Internet community when you discuss your Web site with other people. Don't be intrusive (like visiting forums and blogs just to announce your Web site) but if you are involved in ongoing discussions then let people who are familiar with you know that you have launched a new site.

In short, don't short-circuit your promotional effort by trying too hard. Focus on being helpful to other people, letting them see your link in signatures and profiles, and using accepted promotional techniques in moderation.

Good luck.

#12 danstelter

danstelter

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Based on experience and checking which links appear in Google webmaster here is what my strategy is:

Creating quality articles (I have had a few places already take my articles and redistribute them with my permission)
Article distribution to "dofollow" article directories. (results in some traffic, but lots of links) (I spend equal time on this and forum posting)
Posting and placing a link to my site in relevant forums. (results in good traffic, and a few links)
Reciprocal link exchange (can be great if you get lucky and find a good site that drives traffic to you, but don't spend 100's of hours on this)

Directories are a waste of time except the big boys like DMOZ.
Submit your site to search to the big search engines manually/no point in paying for this service now.

#13 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,005 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:44 AM

Based on experience and checking which links appear in Google webmaster

I'm not convinced that what shows up in Google's Webmaster Tools (if that was what you were talking about) are necessarily the best links. They are just some links. And from what I've seen, often pretty crappy and even spammy links.

#14 extremeseo

extremeseo

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 02:15 AM

Very Nice Explanation from Michael Martinez , Thanks!

Regarding Backlinks ,You can build links from

Article Submisisons (Traffic+Backlinks)
Press Release Distributions (Traffic+Backlinks)
Blog Posting (Traffic+Backlinks)
Classifieds Listing (Traffic+Backlinks) NO FFA PAGES please
Web 2.0 Pages Creation with Links (Squidoo,Hub,Mediawiki,Wetpaint,etc..)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!