• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Keyword Dilution...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gwen

Gwen

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

First of all, hello to all of you here, and thank you in advance for any assistance!
I have heard from some sources that it is important not to dilute my keywords with a lot of lesser search terms, or with words not found on the page to which the keywords correspond. My top competitors seem to follow this model. I am reliant on a webmaster for now to make changes to my site (hope to get dreamweaver soon so I can be self reliant!) and when I asked her to strip out some of the keywords, she argued with me that this was a bad idea. So what do you think? Is it important not to dilute ones keywords?

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,967 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:01 PM

Are you talking about the Meta keyword tag? If so, it doesn't matter. You can leave that tag out all together if you like. It's completely ignored by Google and not given any weight worth worrying about by other search engines.

You need to use your keywords in your content, title tags and anchor text for best effect.

#3 seosparky

seosparky

HR 1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:52 AM

QUOTE(Gwen @ May 2 2009, 06:01 PM) View Post
First of all, hello to all of you here, and thank you in advance for any assistance!
I have heard from some sources that it is important not to dilute my keywords with a lot of lesser search terms, or with words not found on the page to which the keywords correspond. My top competitors seem to follow this model. I am reliant on a webmaster for now to make changes to my site (hope to get dreamweaver soon so I can be self reliant!) and when I asked her to strip out some of the keywords, she argued with me that this was a bad idea. So what do you think? Is it important not to dilute ones keywords?

Here's my tips for what they're worth...

First... use Google's keyword tool to figure out what phrases people use to find products like yours.

Second... do some searches using those phrases and check out the competition.
If the hot search phrase is Acme Widgets, and the top results don't have that exact phrase in them... there's your starting point. If the competition for that phrase is heavy, well then don't waste your time. Move on to other phrases that might have a niche.

Third... use the phrase in your domain if possible, your page title, your meta description, and the text on your page. Don't over do it.

Fourth... be patient, it can take weeks to kick in, however if you find a niche, you could pop to the top in days.

Fifth... get as many sites as you can to link to you. Friends, bloggers, associations, etc. This should be a constant effort for the rest of your life wink1.gif

#4 ClickClick

ClickClick

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

I agree with everything that's been said and would like to add one more thing - these days Google likes pages that look natural, not pages that are OBVIOUSLY optimised for SEO. So vary your links. If your anchor texting the keyword 'golf clubs' to a certain page, make 'golf clubs' the most frequent key phrase you use, but not the only one. Vary the wording - 'the best clubs for a par 4' or 'our selection of golf clubs' etc. etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!