• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Linking Back To A Homepage

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:23 PM

For as long as I can remeber most sites link back to their homepage using their logo in the top left of every page, this is pretty normal stuff and from what I understand quite good for getting pagerank running though a site especially if the site has lots of incoming links to areas deeper than the homepage. One thing I have always questioned is the linking back to a page that you are currently on.

An example of this would be when the logo link in the top left linka to the homepage on the actual homepage, I have also seen this occur on sitemaps where is shows the level you are at now, ie:

Homepage > Level 1 > actual page

and the actual page text links to the current page.

As far as I can tell the above is just confusing but I am not sure what effect it will have on PR//Link juice, the one instance I can see where the above would be useful would be on a site where you are unsure if you are actually on the homepage, clicking the link would almost refresh the page and once this has happened we would be reassured that we were on the homepage.

Thanks for reading

#2 Gerry White

Gerry White

HR 2

• Active Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:13 AM

oddly enough if you ever run a package such as CrazyEgg - home links on the home page are often the most used link (if that makes sense) no idea why, I have even tried changing sites around to try and reduce it before I gave up ...

As for the juice question, don't worry too much about that, I am fairly sure a link to the same page isn't going to do too much bad / good!

But for usability I would keep the top nav the same where ever possible (my thoughts!)

Gerry

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 05:21 PM

Since most sites also have "home" links besides just the logo linking back home, there's no additional PR benefit to it whether or not you have it as a self-link or not.

#4 seodesire

seodesire

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ May 1 2009, 10:21 PM) View Post
Since most sites also have "home" links besides just the logo linking back home, there's no additional PR benefit to it whether or not you have it as a self-link or not.

Hey Jill can you progress on that a little and help highlight whether it's better to only have one link back, 2 or even multiple (footer, page nav, logo).

Thanks.

#5 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 12:36 PM

I don't think that any of your scenarious are any better or worse than the others. It all depends on what makes sense on your site.

If you have a reason to have more than one link to a page from any page, because you're directing your site visitors there for whatever reason, then just do it.

#6 seodesire

seodesire

HR 2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE(Jill @ Dec 12 2009, 05:36 PM) View Post
I don't think that any of your scenarious are any better or worse than the others. It all depends on what makes sense on your site.

If you have a reason to have more than one link to a page from any page, because you're directing your site visitors there for whatever reason, then just do it.

Thank you Jill. I would love to just know the precisities sometimes, I guess we all do trhough.

#7 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,004 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:10 PM

That's the beauty of SEO, there's no exact way to do it. If you're looking for that you'll never find it.

Just do what's best for your users, while keeping the search engines and your keywords in mind and usually you'll make the correct choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!