• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

Duplicate Homepage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Katy

Katy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

Hi All,

I have a customer who's been contacted by an SEO company which ran a few tests on his site (presumably for free). The majority of their comments make sense, however there was one thing mentioned that has confused me (not that it takes much to do that!)

My customer was told that they have a duplicate homepage and we need to do a 301 redirect. When I asked him what the URL was that they mentioned he came back with:

www.example.com/default.asp

Okay, I understand that

www.example.com

and

www.example.com/default.asp

are the same but how can you redirect www.example.com to www.example.com/default.asp (or vice versa) as surely it'll get stuck in an infinite loop - am I missing the point completely or is it a load of twaddle?

Thanks in advance

Katy

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:39 AM

You probably don't need to. View Google's cache of /default.asp and see if Google says, "this is the cache of www.example.com" (without the default.asp).

If so, then Google already sees them as the same page.

If not, then see our 301 Redirect Forum where I'm moving this. There's lots of info on how to do what you might need to do.

#3 Katy

Katy

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

Thanks for the clarifcation Jill

#4 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 11:10 AM

You're spot on to be concerned about an infinite loop Katy. Most people miss that one as a distinct possibility.

The answer to avoiding the loop but still issuing a 301 redirect is to use the actual http request the browser makes as your trigger, as opposed to triggering with the page the server requests. You don't mention what kind of server you're dealing with. With an Apache/*nix server the thing you'd want to assess as your trigger is THE_REQUEST.

I'm not sure if there's a replacement for that one in an IIS environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!