• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Web Hosting Control Panel

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gatorhardware

Gatorhardware

Web Hoster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

We are using Cpanel for our servers/clients and we are thinking about using a new panel on our new servers. Has anyone had any experience with any other ones? Open panel ect? We like cpanel but don't like the cost of it. Anyone code their own?

-Gator Guy

#2 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 32,982 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

I hated Plesk when we first got it, but have grown to like it. Have you tried that?

#3 Gatorhardware

Gatorhardware

Web Hoster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:20 PM

Seems like it has a lot of features. The cost is a pit high but does come with unlimited licenses. Cpanel is cheaper but you have to pay per server.

#4 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:08 AM

All 3rd party hosting i've used either has CPanel or Plesk , are you a webhost?

#5 Gatorhardware

Gatorhardware

Web Hoster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:16 AM

Yes. We are currently using Cpanel on the servers but we are thinking about using something "cheaper" when we build new servers.

#6 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:25 AM

hmm, if your offering hosting, alot of users are going to expect a certain standard with their control panel...but having said that, there will also be a lot who don't even know how to log into their control panel.

Do you have any stats on control panel usage, if you have a support team that can easily do any change requests, having a no.1 help desk & quality support, with a quick turn round, can sometimes be worth far more to the business than a fancy control panel no-one uses.

Dunno maybe this is not a consideration your business wants to take, just throwing out ideas!

#7 Gatorhardware

Gatorhardware

Web Hoster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:49 AM

I don't have a problem just paying for cpanel, I would just like to get some ideas on alternatives. I have been using cpanel as a "customer" for a few years and really like it. However, the $400+ a year per server for cpanel really censored.gif .

#8 zephyr

zephyr

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

I am so used to H-Sphere, the others seem odd at this point.
The newest 3.2 version is much faster than ever, and always stable.

For certain tasks, it is much easier to use than Plesk.
Like file management, but I use FTP for that anyway.

#9 NASA

NASA

HR 4

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

$400 PA per server.

How many sites/customers do you have on one box?

#10 Gatorhardware

Gatorhardware

Web Hoster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

QUOTE(NASA @ Apr 27 2009, 12:15 PM) View Post
$400 PA per server.

How many sites/customers do you have on one box?

The client load on each server is plenty to pay for it. It just doesn't seem right to spend as much on one piece of software as the hardware cost.

Tempted to pay a small team of programmers to write a basic client side one. It would cost more now but wouldn't have to keep paying for it.

#11 rolf

rolf

HR 6

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:37 PM

Nothing new, just wanted to add that I've also used Plesk and liked it once I'd got used to it.

#12 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 12:56 PM

There are a bunch of options out there. The big three are probably cPanel WHM, some flavor of Plesk and Ensim. Those all cost. Among the freebies (I've not used any of these in ages, so no recommendations) there's webmin, web-cp, zpanel and a host of others. You can probably find more about the available options over at webhostingtalk.com.

The biggest problem with the freebies is there is basically zero support. You also need to be a bit careful with them. If I remember correctly webmin was quite good and very, very powerful if you're the server admin. But putting that one in the hands of someone who doesn't understand how servers work and what security measures are necessary would be incredibly dangerous.

You may want also to check into other dedicated server providers Gator. I know the folks I use to lease my servers basically lease you the software along with the server. Thus the server software isn't one big chunk of money. Instead it's part of the monthly server/hosting cost. Sure that may add up to more over time, but even if I bought the license outright on my own --and I can do this if I want-- I'd always end up paying more because of upgrades that simply need to be done.

The folks I use charge between $15 and $25 per month for the various control panel software, depending upon the type you want and how many domains you're going to be hosting. That pricing is I believe for up to 100 domains on a server, which is about where I max out any of my servers. There are unlimited licenses for slightly more if you're talking about a bunch of small sites that don't get all that much traffic.

#13 Gatorhardware

Gatorhardware

Web Hoster

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

We are currently using "leased" servers with cpanel. The cost is nice but I am not crazy about not having complete control over them. It works for us though. As soon as we are ready to move our home office, midwest to somewhere not so midwest, we are building a "small" datacenter with a few dozen servers. I think my best option is going to be cpanel or plesk. I will make a test server and try some of the free ones and let you guys know how it works.

Once it is running, I will advise and see if anyone wants to test the security for fun blackhat.gif .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!