• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo
- - - - -

302 Status Code

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gsimerlink

gsimerlink

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:08 PM

OK, I have a question regarding a site I'm helping with.

The site owned two domains "companyname.com" and "company-name.com". They basically used the one without the hyphen for many years and I assume did a 301 redirect on the other. At some point they decided that the one with the hyphen would be better and started to change to that version. So, may of their links were diluted since there were two competing urls for the same domain. Finally a decision was made to fully switch to the name with a hyphen. But instead of doing a full load of 301 redirects a programmer put a variable in all the pages to stand for the domain. So, you had "%variable.com/" and all pages would be counted regardless of how people arrived at the site. Then this was rewritten to be the domain name with the hyphen on the fly. I'm not positive on exactly how the variable is done or the process used, but from my understanding this is the case.

Now, I just looked at the site using a HTTP status code tool and found that both the hyphen and no hyphen domain name are getting a 302 status code. I have contacted the involved people and let them know what I found, but figured I'd throw it out to you experts to confirm what I suspect.

Thanks

#2 Ron Carnell

Ron Carnell

HR 6

• 968 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

Lots of possibilities, but here's the first thing you should probably check.

http://example.com/folder/ = 200 Status Code

http://example.com/folder = 302 Status Code

Notice the missing trailing slash on the second URI?

Different servers are set up differently, of course, but this is a very common configuration. If you're seeing a 302 from both of your domains, you might want to check to make sure you're including that trailing slash? It will throw off your test if it's not there.

#3 gsimerlink

gsimerlink

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:31 PM

Hi Ron,

Thanks for that tip. I tried http://example-hyphen.com/home.cfm it gave the 200 status code, so at least that is good.

I also tried doing a trailing slash after a folder, however the site is set up a bit odd and the primary folders appear a bit arbitrary (i.e. /ab/ or /wizard/) and return a 301 and 302 depending on the slash. All of the categories, subcategories and products are handled by various variables for each level. When I run a full string it does give me a 200 when I include the hyphen.

Thanks,
Greg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

We are now a read-only forum.

No new posts or registrations allowed.