• Create Account

Subscribe to HRA Now!

Are you a Google Analytics enthusiast?

Share and download Custom Google Analytics Reports, dashboards and advanced segments--for FREE! 

www.CustomReportSharing.com 

From the folks who brought you High Rankings!

Photo

Newsfeed On A Blog

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:21 PM

Im not sure if this post would be more suited to the wordpress forums but I will try here first as I usually get some decent answers.

I have a blog and am using the standard wordpress setup, withink this blog I display a newsfeed on the right side of the page, I dont mind a link to the site that is providing the content but I dont want every single piece of news to link back to them with a link passing pagerank credit. Is there an easy way (ideally without having to mess about with the template) which I can make the links within the feed as nofollow? Failing an easy way would it be possible by editing the template files?

In a perfect world there will be a plugin that will do this form me but I have not been able to find one

Thanks

#2 Randy

Randy

Convert Me!

• 17,540 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

To clarify...

Is the news feed listing stuff from your blog? Or is it displaying news items from somewhere else?

There are plugins that will do both available in the Wordpress Plugins area. Ones I've used recently are News-Ticker, for posts from your own blog, and Simple Feed List, which can do both same site or external site news feeds from a simple rss feed. As you can see however there are several available that do slightly different things.

To add a nofollow is going to require a tweak of the system where it writes the linking code. It should be relatively simple to do though. Perhaps the plugin writers should also make that a configurable option. Makes sense to me anyway.

#3 Jill

Jill

Recovering SEO

• Admin
  • 33,009 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 03:04 PM

Are you sure it's not a built in blogroll that came with your wordpress theme? If so, it's easy enough to remove those links via your admin area.

#4 Hex

Hex

HR 3

• Active Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Its displaying someone elses content on my blog in a column down the right side of the page, I set it up by going into the widgets area anbd adding an RSS feed. It look and works just how I wanted it to but I am not happy with giving away so many outgoing links so wanted to nofollow them.

I have had a read of the simple feed list plugin from the link Randy posted, Im a little confused by the instructions around it. I am pretty effective with html and css but dont have any experience of php at all so think that might be whats causing me to be confused around this - would I include the nofollow when adding code to my theme or am I way off base here?

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

SPAM FREE FORUM!

If you are just registering to spam,
don't bother. You will be wasting your
time as your spam will never see the
light of day!